Author Topic: How to Pick Your Plastic Surgeon Forum - Gynecomastia Pictures Disasters  (Read 5482 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
I saw several patients this week unhappy after gynecomastia male breast reduction surgery done by other doctors.

I evolved years ago Standard Gynecomastia Pictures to show the contour problem and solution from many different angles. Flexing muscle still photos demonstrate quite a bit about the quality of the surgery as does lifting arms up overhead. What may look good at rest can look terrible in motion. I then evolved Standard After Gynecomastia Video / Movies that are even more critical to show animation issues. Videos are technically demanding to make and post, but at least flexing views show much more than nothing.

Contour problems and the quality of surgical result should not only look good at rest. We do not live our lives with our arms down at the sides. Playing sports, running, activities are all in motion. Good surgery should look good during animation.

I reviewed the doctors' web sites before seeing the patients. I found in one case just a few before and after pictures. There were only one or two views per patient and the choice of views changed from patient to patient. The framing of the before pictures and lighting also changed.  That is a major significant warning about possible results. Why did the doctor change the angles for the after surgery pictures. Looking at the terrible results of the unhappy patient, I can only surmise that the "best" view had to be selected to get something on the web to attract patients.

Another patient's doctor's website had many before and after pictures, framing was mostly similar but there were only 2 views. And the unhappy patient did look somewhat OK on those particular views. The problem revealed itself as soon as the patient flexed or moved his chest. There was nothing between the skin and the underlying muscle. The tissue adhered causing horrible deformity that made me wince. The defect was so great that there were insufficient tissue to rebuild. If the standard still views had been shown by that doctor, how many people would chose that person for their surgery?  If videos were shown, it would have been worse.

Patients need to understand that limited demonstration of ability means there is a major gamble in letting that doctor operate on you. Surgical sculpture is an art form and going to a known is so much better than hoping that you will be happy with the results. You should look for a number of examples of a doctor's work and when appropriate such as in gynecomastia, you need to check how the problem / results move. Basing surgery on price or travel convenience alone can be a major risk.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Check out our new Gynecomastia Forums. We have an amazing set of resources for those trying to learn about living with gynecomastia and treating this contour condition.

Start out with our Gynecomastia Forum Introduction which organizes the extended information.

There is even a page on How To Pick Your Gynecomastia Surgeon.

Check out the lower floating navigation bar here in this section and how it changes for the gynecomastia section to learn about the power of this site as a learning tool.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything