Author Topic: Rhinoplasty Forum - Unhappy After Open Rhinoplasty and Columella Sutures  (Read 5632 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Good afternoon.

Three weeks ago today I had rhinoplasty septoplasty surgery.  The columella  stitched area looks awful.  Just a little inside my nose, but still VERY visible are pea sized bumps on each side.  The stitched area going across, it is clearly a “V” and looks like a step.  Very unhappy with this.  I have my next follow up appointment next week,  What can I expect from my doctor?  Can he adjust this?  Could it be just swelling that will go away? Thanks.

I no longer offer this surgery, my practice has evolved with further specialization.

The Columella Suture Skin Closure of Open Rhinoplasty requires a delicate touch. This can be the most visible of the scars that tend to be hidden in this surgery. The shape of the incision can vary from a "V" to a stair step, anything to keep it from just a more obvious straight line. Early after surgery pictures, as I show on my website demonstrate my technique and what my patients could expect of me when I was offering this surgery.

I prefer methods that have minimal swelling and bruising for all of my surgery. Each surgeon has his / her own skills and methods. Doctors should demonstrate typical cases during their discussion of risks of surgery. A common problem is that many do not show early after surgery images. Will your incision evolve to what the doctor did show?  That is a question for your doctor and the time for healing.

I never needed to revise one of my patient's columellar incisions. I did see patients unhappy after their doctor's rhinoplasty and needed to revise that doctor's incision. 

Good luck on your healing.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates