Author Topic: puffy areolae after breast reduction  (Read 8029 times)

Offline shuls

• View Profile
puffy areolae after breast reduction
« on: December 24, 2010, 01:09:51 AM »
I had breast reduction surgery one week ago and along with the expected bruising and swelling I noticed that my areolae are extremely puffy. Is this normal at this stage of recovery or is there a reason to be concerned.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: puffy areolae after breast reduction
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:10:31 AM »
I had breast reduction surgery one week ago and along with the expected bruising and swelling I noticed that my areolae are extremely puffy. Is this normal at this stage of recovery or is there a reason to be concerned.

Posting Standard After Breast Reduction Pictures is a great way to help others better understand your concerns.

Areola puffing out after surgery can be from swelling and bruising. It can also be part of the dynamics of the deeper tissues pushing out against the anchoring hole for the new location of the areola. The problem can also be a combination. When due to the swelling / bruising, this contour issue tends to settle down over time. When from the design of the new breast, the problem will remain.

Bruising and swelling after female breast reduction depend on the original problem, what was done, surgical technique, skill of the surgeon, after surgery care, and other factors.

With my Tumescent Breast Reduction, there is minimal bruising and swelling. What little swelling is there peaks in the operating room and continues to decrease from there. You can find many examples of early after surgery tissue evolution pictures. However, even more critical than photos are movies which show how the tissues move after breast reduction. Videos are difficult to make and post, so that can be asking too much of other doctors.

This is one of the advantages of having early after surgery pictures and movies on my website. My patients have a better idea how my techniques evolve over time. Since I have so little bruising and swelling, it is a mark of pride being able to show such results. Unfortunately, not all surgeons use the same techniques and it is hard to find early results on their website.

To understand your surgeon's evolution of tissue, you will need to check with him / her. Over time, with others posting examples of their surgeon's methods, this forum will become a resource for such issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction and Lift in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates