Author Topic: Small Ear Otoplasty Forum - Making a Bigger Ear  (Read 13148 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Small Ear Otoplasty Forum - Making a Bigger Ear
« on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:59 PM »
hi dr. bermant, i need seroius help for my ears, i am wondering if you can make my ears bigger, (they're quiet small) precisely to make the up side bigger by making it thinner, like stretched all the way.

thank you.

There are many different types of small ear deformity that vary from an entire missing ear, to reduced single component. Options depend on the deformity. Expanding a well balanced, but small, ear can be difficult to impossible. Microtia or small ear reconstruction has its limitations. What may seem like a masterpiece of surgical wizardry to the surgeon, may lack the grace and delicate nature of a natural looking ear.

The Constructed or Lop Ear Deformity is one variation where only part of the ear is small. Helix Rim Expansion for Lop Ear is a nice option for this limited version of the small ear. These results can look delicate and natural since there are resources of the ear that can be used.

If you are interested in learning more we are happy to help you explore your concerns during a consultation or a Preliminary Remote Discussion to minimize travel to Virginia. If interested in learning more, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline hope

• View Profile
Re: Small Ear Otoplasty Forum - Making a Bigger Ear
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
but, have you ever been asked to make ears bigger from other patients and what are the results? can i get in contact with them?  :)

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
but, have you ever been asked to make ears bigger from other patients and what are the results? can i get in contact with them?  :)

I have reconstructed ears after trauma or cancer restoring components, but usually this involved making a smaller ear out of what was there.

Sorry, I do not offer surgery that I do not like the results of.
I saw many ear reconstructions ranging from no ear at all to various degrees of microtia small ear deformity. I never liked the results I saw either from the worlds experts I was training with nor since then in the literature. For the nature of the problem, they were masterful. But none had the delicacy of a natural looking ear. The pictures tell the story, but in person, the ears just did not look nor feel natural. Patients were happy, doctors were proud, but I felt that technology was just not there for me to want to perform that type of surgery. Ear prosthesis had their own problems like falling off at the worst times.

My dream was to have a new framework of cartilage grown from the patient's own tissue, immunologically identical to the patient. This would be done on a dissolving framework and then put under a flap from the patients skin. That ear would still lack the thin skin issues needed, but constructing a vascularized framework of skin, cartilage, vessels, and nerves, will take even more time before it becomes a reality (if at all even possible). I have seen research of attempts in rats, but I do not plan to hold my breath for when this will become available for use in humans. I also estimate that the costs may be prohibitive especially early on in the gearing up of the methodology. I have been dreaming of such reconstruction from early in my training in microsurgery decades ago, it is still not here yet.

Check our Otoplasty Pictures how to evaluate photos of ears from doctors offering such methods to begin understanding the advantages and disadvantages of such methods. For some the compromise is worth it.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline hope

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
so, is there any way to use the cartilage that the ear already has, like on a cup ear, and stretch it the best way to get it bigger?

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:20:01 PM »
so, is there any way to use the cartilage that the ear already has, like on a cup ear, and stretch it the best way to get it bigger?

To stretch a component of the ear, you need both front skin, cartilage, and back skin.  The exception is the ear lobe which just needs front skin, fat, and back skin. Cup Ear Deformity has the unusual advantage of often having resources for expansion in the deformity itself.

What specific options are possible depend on many factors. That is part of the evaluation done during an examination and then discussed during a Otoplasty Consultation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline hope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:45:46 PM »
i would have a preliminary remote discussion because i am too far away, but i don't really know what is about and how to do that.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:54:35 PM »
i would have a preliminary remote discussion because i am too far away, but i don't really know what is about and how to do that.

To minimize travel to Virginia, most patients start with our Preliminary Remote Discussion. With the remote, patients typically can schedule a tentative surgery that follows the day after their confirmatory in office consultation. Otherwise once seen in the office, surgery will then need to wait until the next available opening usually several weeks later.

This remote can manage many types of problems that show up in pictures. Some issues still need an in office exam before surgery can be scheduled. This is particularly critical for problems involving what needs to be felt and a hands on exam. Jane is my office manager and can explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline hope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
ok, i am not really fluent in spoken english, if i send you by email photos of my ears, could you tell me something more specific and if it's possibile to do something?

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:05:19 AM »
ok, i am not really fluent in spoken english, if i send you by email photos of my ears, could you tell me something more specific and if it's possibile to do something?

We see many patients from around the world who prefer my techniques are glad to help you explore your concerns during our preliminary remote discussion which is based on forms and pictures. There is a major issue. All of our patient education is in English. For our patients that are not comfortable with this language, they must provide a translator available at all times of the process. This may seem rigid, but an informed patient is a critical factor in achieving my results.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates