Author Topic: Plastic Surgery Forum - Evaluating Effective Treatment for Cellulite with Photos  (Read 8794 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
What do you think of --- (a company)'s cellulite treatment machine?

I am sorry, but I do not offer cellulite machine treatment options. I do not like what I have seen nor the documentation of its effectiveness in the literature. Cellulite is the effect of tiny deep bridges connecting the surface skin to deeper structures, tethering it between bulging tissue. The tether points can be exaggerated or emphasized by lighting. They look worse on motion.

I have personally seen some terrible results from that particular machine. I just looked online at the manufacturer's website and was amazed. They had before and after treatment pictures. The results might have looked miraculous to the lay person but to a trained eye there was a major problem. Surface irregularities can look exaggerated with spot highlight lighting. Shadows are emphasized. Soften the light source, make it more diffuse, change the direction of the lighting, and without treatment all of a sudden the shadows go away. Changing background can also affect the appearance of the results. That is why on standard photographs ethical doctors standardize lighting and backgrounds as much as possible. These "before" and "after" pictures had obvious different lighting, different shadows, and some even had different backgrounds. For a major company to put up such material to prove that their technique works is simply unconscionable at the worst and naive at the best. Still pictures only tell part of the story. How tissues move can be even more critical. For a really effective treatment for cellulite, the results should look better on a video of the part moving.

Unfortunately, many are not that aware of lighting issues to pick up bad hype marketing.

Let us look at something somewhat similar. Cellulite can be a component of the stomach skin. This is not a pure example of cellulite since redundant skin, stretch marks, and loose fascia deeper layers are the primary deformity for this form of sculpture. The documentation however is similar. Standard Pictures for Tummy Tuck are the starting point. Note the even lighting on the many examples on my site. Even more critical however are the Tummy Tuck Videos. These movies better show tether points, how tissues bounce, and move. If someone really wanted to demonstrate how effective their cellulite treatment was, using such documentation techniques might win me over or show others why to have the therapy. Movies for tummy tucks also can show bruising, healing, and recovery after surgery.

For cellulite effectiveness, I would like to see the residual benefits say at 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year and longer. That may not be practical for a solo practitioner like myself seeing patients from around the world. How are we going to get that person back to demonstrate the pictures: not very practical. Sometimes I am rewarded by a patients returning long term celebrating their sculpture with us. However, for a major manufacturer advocating their product, I would think resources should be there to achieve such documentation. In my opinion, they certainly charge enough for their products. (No I do not own one nor ever have.)

The moral of the story is, check carefully before spending your money.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Antithint

• View Profile
Many women have been looking for a non-surgical treatment of cellulite. They do at-home massage, drink tons of water, watch their diet and work out like an animal, but have had poor circulation and cellulite since pre-puberty. Here at Link Spam Removed, we offer the ground-breaking complex is based on a triple action approach to stimulate micro circulation while reducing the appearance of cellulite, specifically on the thighs. Stellars' complex also helps minimize any future damage while rejuvenating the skin.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:03:31 AM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Many women have been looking for a non-surgical treatment of cellulite. They do at-home massage, drink tons of water, watch their diet and work out like an animal, but have had poor circulation and cellulite since pre-puberty. Here at Link Spam Removed, we offer the ground-breaking complex is based on a triple action approach to stimulate micro circulation while reducing the appearance of cellulite, specifically on the thighs. Stellars' complex also helps minimize any future damage while rejuvenating the skin.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

You posted here in a thread about documentation with photographs, yet your link page did not go to one with such photos. Link Spam for SEO is just not welcome here. Links to good documentation of claims beyond hand waving or papers with poor to no proof. Instead all I saw was what appeared to be a model, no before or after images, or for cellulite, how the tissues moved! How To Evaluate Before And After Pictures / Movies is not just about surgery, it is a tool to evaluate problems such as cellulite and claims to success of treatments, cosmetic non surgery options, weight loss methods, and bodybuilding claims. If something works, there should be a way to prove it more than marketing hype hand waving with words. Here for example is a demonstration of just that principle for

No Surgery Body Shaping Garments where standard images show different body types, not just an unrealistic model, from views around the individual and then how the garment controls the tissue with bouncing.

For cellulite, the question is one of the Superficial Fascia Suspension System SFS anatomy tethering points as demonstrated with my new Belly Button Anatomy and Sagging Skin. My drawings were done to demonstrate the drooping nature of tissue hanging off of the tethering belly button. The same network of fascia are the elements behind the cellulite tether skin points. That is why I suggested using the

Let us look at something somewhat similar. Cellulite can be a component of the stomach skin. This is not a pure example of cellulite since redundant skin, stretch marks, and loose fascia deeper layers are the primary deformity for this form of sculpture. The documentation however is similar. Standard Pictures for Tummy Tuck are the starting point. Note the even lighting on the many examples on my site. Even more critical however are the Tummy Tuck Videos. These movies better show tether points, how tissues bounce, and move. If someone really wanted to demonstrate how effective their cellulite treatment was, using such documentation techniques might win me over or show others why to have the therapy. Movies for tummy tucks also can show bruising, healing, and recovery after surgery.

For cellulite effectiveness, I would like to see the residual benefits say at 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year and longer.

Why not contribute to a dialogue to evolve a better system for documentation of cellulite problems and solutions instead of just an exercise of forum marketing SEO?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Like in the art community, the med & fashion worlds should take the approach of showing REAL unphotoshopped figures esp in ads.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Check out How to Evaluate Before After Pictures, the Photographic Principle. This is an expanding series of resources on just that principle: getting realistic assessments of the problems and solutions.

Better Plastic Surgery organizations like the American Society of Plastic Surgeons mandate ethics bylaws for their members that  each photograph of a surgical sculpture is the actual contour and has not been modified to misrepresent the problem or what has been done. However, not all organizations have the same stringent requirements. Yet some claiming to be a plastic surgeon do not even belong to any organizations. Check out our resources on How to Pick Your Plastic Surgeon another series of expanding resources on that topic.

Yet, when a make up company offers a skin cream claiming to do this or that, where are the equivalent pictures or documentation. Who is policing that industry, the fashion industry, or many others pandering to unrealstic expectations or results. I cringe when the supposed treatment photos use harsh point source shadow creating lighting before to emphasize the "problem" and then diffuse lighting for the cure. Try that without the treatment, the lighting change alone is "miraculous" but not real.

Who is policing unethical results? Why not help evolve standards to evaluate such treatments as anti aging, cellulite, wrinkles, and other claims. Here is a forum set up to empower those who want to take it to the next level. Make it so that no company would want to use deceptive advertising for fear of an educated public rejection of their product or technique.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates