//pvii begin //pvii end

Author Topic: Liposuction Forum - Interesting Observation  (Read 4195 times)

Offline April

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Liposuction Forum - Interesting Observation
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »
Being a student in Dr. Bermant's office has allowed me many great opportunities. Over the past weeks I've been able to observe many consults, and through discussions with Dr. Bermant I've noticed a common misunderstanding:   

Liposuction isn't a quick fix for patients who are over weight. If liposuction was preformed on a patient who was truly faced with a global fat problem the long term results would be less affective. A common misconception about liposuction is that all of the fat cells are removed during the procedure, therefore the patient won't regain the unwanted fat. This is a false idea, to obtain the best results after surgery do the work before and lose the weight, so the results will be efficient.

April
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:03:49 PM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Interesting Observation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »
Being a student in Dr. Bermant's office has allowed me many great opportunities. Over the past weeks I've been able to observe many consults, and through discussions with Dr. Bermant I've noticed a common misunderstanding:   

Liposuction isn't a quick fix for patients who are over weight. If liposuction was preformed on a patient who was truly faced with a global fat problem the long term results would be less affective. A common misconception about liposuction is that all of the fat cells are removed during the procedure, therefore the patient won't regain the unwanted fat. This is a false idea, to obtain the best results after surgery do the work before and lose the weight, so the results will be efficient.

April

That is so true. Liposuction is not an answer to someone who cannot lose weight. In the abdomen, much of the fat is behind the abdominal wall around the intestines. Liposuction is for surface fat. When local areas alone are done, remaining fat in other regions can look really bizarre. You can see such an example here on this post on this forum:

http://www.abodybeautiful.com/forum/index.php/topic,200.0.html

Beyond that, removing all of the fat can look terrible. The fat is a natural layer to lubricate the skin and permit it to move independently from the deeper layers. Check out Crater Deformity After Gynecomastia Surgery where I had to use local resources to fill in the void by too much liposuction done elsewhere. Since you need to leave some fat behind, each remaining fat cell can still put on more fat. That means that liposuction does not prevent weight gain nor possible bizarre appearance as fat gets added or removed with weight loss.

In general weight loss before surgery is better than weight loss after. Losing weight is a coarse tool, liposuction is better reserved for refinement.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates