Author Topic: Really Big Blood Clot between abdomen and stomach  (Read 8132 times)

Offline Lavisa

• View Profile
Really Big Blood Clot between abdomen and stomach
« on: April 07, 2011, 01:59:02 AM »
I hope someone can help me or has had this problem and it cleared up and can tell me how to move mine along.
I am 3 months out from having a hysterectomy, bladder tuck  and tummy tuck w/liposuction and abdominal wall tightened.  Well since 3 weeks after my surgery when i got my second drainage tube removed i started to bloat for lack of what better to say.  Well i was having major edema from feet to I guess waist, so when i wanted to address the tummy getting bigger and harder all my Dr.'s said edema & water pills will take care of it.  Now 2 months and 1 week later my edema issue better and left with ostrich egg sized egg on left side of tummy and bottom of tummy about  10 inches across hard and very defined shape.  So now Dr. appointment Tuesday hoped to get it taken out with a needle assuming it is a hematoma.  Only to be informed not hematoma cause hard and doesnt move even when pushed on or lying down, he says it is a blood clot and will not  respond to needle.  Supposed to go back in a month to watch it and in the mean time if i run a fever and feel sick and stomach gets red get right in and have to sugically remove.  Please does anyone know what i can do or take to speed up the process?  The incision under the swollen area is forming cord like hard scar tissue.  Physical Therapist even called to cancel my appointment scared to help me.  Scar tissue is only forming where pressure from swollen tummy not around hips, PT said it is forming because of pressure.  I am still on iron (hemoglobin dropped to 8. something after surgery) stool softeners (cause water pills) water pill, and premarin.
My abs are still sore to sit down and stand up, roll over in bed, get in and out of vehicle and Dr. says that is because of this Clot and blood is an irritant to muscle.  Oh and coughing and sneezing it very painful.
I got my second drain out at 3 weeks after surgery exactly and was still draining between 60-80 cc's.  But think my body was having enough of it, it  was getting really sore around stitched site.  Formed allergy to steri strip that were put over my dissolvable stitches.  I hope i have given enough  information.
I would be thankful to hear from anyone with advice.
Thank you,
Lavisa

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Really Big Blood Clot between abdomen and stomach
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 02:46:51 PM »
I hope someone can help me or has had this problem and it cleared up and can tell me how to move mine along.
I am 3 months out from having a hysterectomy, bladder tuck  and tummy tuck w/liposuction and abdominal wall tightened.  Well since 3 weeks after my surgery when i got my second drainage tube removed i started to bloat for lack of what better to say.  Well i was having major edema from feet to I guess waist, so when i wanted to address the tummy getting bigger and harder all my Dr.'s said edema & water pills will take care of it.  Now 2 months and 1 week later my edema issue better and left with ostrich egg sized egg on left side of tummy and bottom of tummy about  10 inches across hard and very defined shape.  So now Dr. appointment Tuesday hoped to get it taken out with a needle assuming it is a hematoma.  Only to be informed not hematoma cause hard and doesnt move even when pushed on or lying down, he says it is a blood clot and will not  respond to needle.  Supposed to go back in a month to watch it and in the mean time if i run a fever and feel sick and stomach gets red get right in and have to sugically remove.  Please does anyone know what i can do or take to speed up the process?  The incision under the swollen area is forming cord like hard scar tissue.  Physical Therapist even called to cancel my appointment scared to help me.  Scar tissue is only forming where pressure from swollen tummy not around hips, PT said it is forming because of pressure.  I am still on iron (hemoglobin dropped to 8. something after surgery) stool softeners (cause water pills) water pill, and premarin.
My abs are still sore to sit down and stand up, roll over in bed, get in and out of vehicle and Dr. says that is because of this Clot and blood is an irritant to muscle.  Oh and coughing and sneezing it very painful.
I got my second drain out at 3 weeks after surgery exactly and was still draining between 60-80 cc's.  But think my body was having enough of it, it  was getting really sore around stitched site.  Formed allergy to steri strip that were put over my dissolvable stitches.  I hope i have given enough  information.
I would be thankful to hear from anyone with advice.
Thank you,
Lavisa

Welcome to abodybeautifu.coml Plastic Surgery forum.

Drains for Tummy Tuck are a great way to remove extra fluid. Although some have developed methods that they claim not to need them, I have always used drains to protect my patients. I have never had a drain that needed to stay in that long nor would I have removed a drain with that much remaining drainage coming out. Drains do not replace technique. When too much damage is done, injury can result in prolonged drainage. Seroma and other fluid collections become possible especially when the lymphatic structures were damaged.

That sounds like a very unpleasant atypical after tummy tuck experience. Although I have an extensive discussion about Tummy Tuck Risks and Complications with each of my patients, they have been thankfully quite rare in my practice. Something sounds wrong. Was there a team of surgeons operating or only one? What was each surgeon's credentials or more specifically board certifications?

I prefer techniques with less damage with this typical Swelling, Bruising and Recovery After Tummy Tuck. However, that takes a great deal of skill, training, and care to achieve such results.

So, the question remains, why were your experiences different? Then the next step would be understanding if that mass is a blood clot or something else.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline aashley

• View Profile
Re: Really Big Blood Clot between abdomen and stomach
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »
yes this is the best procedure to get rid of the fluids some times the blood clots

anything