Author Topic: Weight Loss Forum - Lost 100 Pounds On My Own Did Not Want Gastric Bypass  (Read 6506 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
I have been struggling with my weight my entire life and started thinking about gastric bypass about 2 years ago. I went online and learned about the complications and even had a friend who had stomach stapling about 2 years ago, He lost a lot of weight for a year. Since then he put all the weight back on.

It is now estimated by some sources that over 40% of the people that have had weight reduction surgery have gained the weight back and the surgery here in the US is still a relatively new procedure. Add to that the risk you take from possible surgery complications and in my humble opinion, there is a better way.

It has been hard but I am now 100 pounds into my weight loss with diet and exercise alone. It has taken me 2 years and I have about 80 more pounds to shed.

Congratulations on your achievement of your own weight loss without surgery. Your experiences are not unusual nor atypical.

To make a point for those considering a natural weight loss method without bariatric assistance: it can be done, weight loss without bypass is not rare, and gastric bypass surgery is not for every one. Please do not be frightened into thinking that the only way to really lose weight is by gastric bypass. This operation has become very lucrative and is no easy fix.  There are major potential complications.

I see many patients After Major Weight Loss. About 95% of my patients achieved their weight loss without surgical assistance. These tend to be proud individuals, hard working, and patient. Some of my patients have had bypass successfully, but in my practice, they are in the major minority. I also have seen many patients who have had the bypass operations and found eating habits to get around the stomach restrictions. They just eat smaller more frequent meals. This subset of my practice tend to be individuals looking for another "quick fix."  They could not get the weight off with the bypass and then come to me to see what I have to offer: surgically, not much. Plastic surgery is not an alternative to weight loss.

One recent patient for a tummy tuck I just did took 5 years from when I first saw her and had our weight loss discussion. Her 56 pound weight loss on a 5'4" frame is nowhere in the league of your achievement, but she was a changed woman. And by the way, so did her belly between her first visit and the time she had her Tumescent Tummy Tuck. By the way I am proud of the very unusual Comfort After Tummy Tuck this technique affords. This individual, typical for my patients only needed plain Tylenol for her recovery (a total of only 24 pills) is outstanding! If interested check out some of the many Tummy Tuck Before After Movies which has several examples of weight loss patients. The videos, especially the early after surgery progression movies, better show the problem, recovery, surgical solution, and can convey the emotional impact of getting rid of that extra tissue.

Back to the original point, I agree with you: "there is a better way."  Unfortunately, not all are able to achieve this and for some the bypass is a reasonable option. But even the bypass is no answer for the individual who wants medical methods to "fix it" without willing to put in much effort. Too bad it is impossible to track the weight loss individuals who achieve this outside of medical intervention.

Again congratulations and for others considering weight loss, you too may be able to achieve this without bariatric surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia of Male Chest Ptosis - Sagging and Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Lancelot

• View Profile
Re: Weight Loss Forum - Lost 100 Pounds On My Own Did Not Want Gastric Bypass
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:05:46 AM »
Hi dear,
You are doing a good job for losing the weight. You should carry on this job for the fitness. For avoiding the gastric problems you must start running and jogging.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:44:42 AM by Lancelot »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Weight Loss Forum - Lost 100 Pounds On My Own Did Not Want Gastric Bypass
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
Hi dear,
You are doing a good job for losing the weight. You should carry on this job for the fitness. For avoiding the gastric problems you must start running and jogging.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Are you human with poor command of English or a robot? 

Gastric Bypass is an operation to force weight loss by having food bypass parts of the normal absorption process. Running & jogging can help with weight loss to a degree but many with major weight problems have difficulty with such activity. Their massive weight is a strain on their body such that such activity can be difficult. Water activity can help since fat floats and weight loss programs can be designed to burn calories with less stress from the massive weight.

On this page of Pannus Reduction Abdominoplasty, you can see one such individual where exercise was such a problem. The video of her trying to walk was so disturbing, I have yet to publish it. Surgery is not an alternative to weight loss.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything