Author Topic: Gynecomastia Surgery - Do I need anybody with me after surgery?  (Read 5307 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
I want to keep my surgery from my family and friends. Do I need anybody with me after surgery?

For safety reasons, there must be someone to be with anyone having surgery under sedation or general anesthesia. The number of hours depends on the particular center. This person can be family, a friend, or for our patients we can help hire a nurse for several hours after surgery. This policy is important enough that to maintain an Accredited Surgery Center any discharge must be documented. Although we carefully give each of our patients with the after surgery instructions before surgery,  there must be a responsible party to receive the possible changes in instructions that can happen with any procedure. Being sedated or emerging from general anesthesia is like coming off from being drunk and safety mandates that responsible person until reasonable judgement returns. Local anesthesia alone is not enough for gynecomastia surgery, but nipple reduction alone can be done under local alone. For this the extra individual for discharge is optional.

Actually there is much more to hiding surgery from friends and family than just someone being there. Comfort After Surgery can be a major factor. Some doctors' techniques are much more painful. That is why learning just what a doctor offers is so important.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything