Author Topic: Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery Forum - Lost Eyelashes, Will They Grow Back?  (Read 8232 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Question, I have seemed to lost half of my eyelashes after my eye lid surgery. Happens? Will they grow back

Sorry, my practice has further specialized and I am no longer offering this operation.

Protecting the eyelashes and their blood supply is an important component of cosmetic surgery of the eyelid. Careful dissection and control of bleeding are best for prevention. The loss of eyelashes is a risk of this operation that should be part of any complete discussion of Risks of Blepharoplasty that should take place before the procedure. Sometimes the lashes grow back, sometimes they are lost forever. Sometimes they grow back pointing in the wrong direction. Losing that many eyelashes is certainly not normal. Asking your surgeon what happened and what are the chances of the lashes returning will give you the best chance of understanding your specific risks of permanent deformity. Is this something that doctor sees often, and if so how did the other patients do. In my practice, it was uncommon to lose any eyelashes unless I was performing cancer surgery, treating trauma, and with certain higher risk operations.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline AnnaHealth

• View Profile
Re: Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery Forum - Lost Eyelashes, Will They Grow Back?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:00:07 AM »
Hi Michael Bermant,

You said "Sometimes they grow back pointing in the wrong direction." What does it mean?
I'm not familiar with this type of surgery. But what if the do, and grow in the wrong direction... how it's possible to improve this fake?  :o

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Hi Michael Bermant,

You said "Sometimes they grow back pointing in the wrong direction." What does it mean?
I'm not familiar with this type of surgery. But what if the do, and grow in the wrong direction... how it's possible to improve this fake?  :o

Welcome to our Forum.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Yes, that is one of the less common Risks of Blepharoplasty. Eyelash hair follicles should all point in the same direction. Injured tissues can result in lash hair pointing elsewhere, including towards the eye. In this case the hair irritates the cornea forcing removal of that follicle or redirecting it towards the others. The method varies depending on the specific problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline AnnaHealth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 03:11:31 AM »
Thank you for the answer Michael.

I run a blog about the eyelashes grow and looking for the news ways of how to help my visitors solve their problem.

This eyelashes issue I see at first time. And very appreciate your answer. Now I'm a bit more knowledgeable about this topic.  8)