//pvii begin //pvii end

Author Topic: Lipsosuction Forum - How Does Abdominal Etching Work?  (Read 5701 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Lipsosuction Forum - How Does Abdominal Etching Work?
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:24:06 AM »
How Does Abdominal Etching Work?

Liposuction can sculpt fat, but not make fat move like muscle. Those advocating "abdominal etching" try to make fat look like muscle by carving out muscle lines into the fat. This can look fine in a still picture. However, we do not live life that way. Fat does not have the ability to move like muscle. So when looking at the living stomach, fat etched to look like muscle, moves like fat. It looks horrible flexing.

Check how to evaluate just how well etching works, check out our Tummy Tuck Pictures. If the documentation of the operation is not including bending over views and how tissues bounce, then you may not be seeing how well the method is dealing with the loose tissue component. The videos are particulary revealing on how natural muscles flex.

This Video of Before and After Tummy Tuck in a Belly Dancer is particularly revealing how muscles move. Try to find something similar in abdominal etching. The most I have ever seen on a presentation of the technique is the still image. The horrible results I have seen in my office with patients coming to me after abdominal etching, just look like what I have described, fat that has been sculpted to look like muscle a terribly artificial structure that shares none of the beauty of normal muscle function. Some of these problems have no decent revision options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Lipsosuction Forum - How Does Abdominal Etching Work?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 01:06:05 AM »
Swelling and itching after Liposuction during the healing process is very common.Try out these few things which i have done it may help you.
1.take a visit to massage therapist.
2.wear compression garment.
3.take anti-inflammatory medication.
All this has been prescribed to me by my physician ...

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Abdominal Etching has nothing to do with itching. It is a process where a surgeon tries to imitate the contours of muscle by cutting the pattern in fat. The problem is that the fat, contoured to look like muscle still moves and acts like fat, not muscle during activities and looks ridiculous unless all you are trying to achieve is looking good for a still picture for a publication.

A massage therapist is a terrible idea after surgery unless prescribed by the surgeon. For the many years of performing liposuction, I never needed to refer one of these patients to a massage therapist.

Compression Garments after Liposuction are quite valuable for swelling, bruising, and comfort, but do not help with itching. Unfortunately, if a patient is sensitive to the fabric, it can cause itching. When I was in practice, this was quite rare, but was dealt with an under garment between the compression garment and the skin.

Are you a real person or a bot?  If a real person, welcome to our forum.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates