Author Topic: After Gynecomastia Surgery Forum - When Can I Shower?  (Read 10737 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
After Gynecomastia Surgery Forum - When Can I Shower?
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:56:28 AM »
I just had gynecomastia surgery and I stink, when can I shower after surgery? My surgeon says I cannot do it until my bandages come off.

This is technique dependent. I see patients from around the world. They are usually able to fly back the day after surgery. Flying without showing can be offensive so one goal long ago was to evolve a sealed dressing system after Gynecomastia Surgery that could take showing. My patients are usually able to shower 24 hours after surgery. That time permits a bond between the bandage and skin that tolerates a gentle shower. That also permits me to see the patient, check the chest, help the patient learn about getting the garment off and back on, the additional gauze we use to go after the negligible swelling under the contour valleys that the garment does not compress, and other such details of the education process that contributes to our successful sculpture. I cannot achieve that sealed dressing for a skin reduction chest lift and those patients are normally asked to stay locally longer. Sealing that extensive a wound can constrict breathing.

So this is a question best directed to your operating surgeon and, in my opinion, should have been part of the educational process each patient is exposed to before surgery instead of having to ask in a forum. Knowledge is power and the enabled patient better able to contribute to a more comfortable recovery after Male Breast Reduction.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything