Author Topic: Scar Care Forum - Hype vs. Proof Which Scar Care is Better?  (Read 4144 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Pls let us know if u r interested in Kelo-cote samples 4 ur office. Most effective silicone scar gel. Also available as spray. 800+ MDs use.

Was a twitter message to me that I have been asking for more detail to validate the statement "most effective."

The problem with Scar Care product comparison is in the research. Measurement of a scar's qualities is something that I have ever seen done in a decent fashion. Evaluations tend to be qualitative, not quantitative. For instance, I have yet to see dynamic videos before and after scar care comparing different products or the use or non use of the product. That is still not quantitative, but the videos are something that another observer can also see for him or herself. The problem is measuring the nature of the scar. Scar color, elasticity, how it moves, how it feels, are all so difficult to document. Each paper I have read seems to be very light on that proof component. Performing such a study is time consuming, difficult to get the same nature wounds, same healing, same observer, and many other factors. What I have been lost on is the hype surrounding such statements as

Most effective silicone scar gel.

When I see such a claim, I feel it is the obligation of the company making it to offer the proof. I only looked at one paper they sent me. They also sent links, some of which I remember looking at before, but will look again to see if there is something new or did I miss something. That one paper had some interesting statements made:

This was a small pilot study, nonetheless, the results are encouraging.

is not enough proof in my opinion to back up the statement made by the company. That study only checked one product vs no application. The number of patients was trivial. There was no careful analysis of scar variables such as tendency to scars, race, ethnicity, compliance, and the many other variables that become critical for comparison. There was no proof that the part of the wound selected for the scar care was equivalent to the other portion.

800+ MDs use.

How many of these using the product are doing so since they have been supplied free samples? How many are using it as a profit center to make money for their recovering patients?

When my patients ask me what is best, I advise them I am still looking for proof one product is better than another. Separating the hype from reality has been difficult in the past and continues to be. In my opinion, it is the scar care that makes a difference, not which product has been used. I recommend the least expensive vehicle since massaging without lubrication can damage tissues. When someone offers me better proof, then my advice can change based on facts, not hand waving.

Like the cosmetic makeup industry, guidelines and requirements of proof seem to be lax. The commercials on Television for this wrinkle reducing cream vs that method just have not been convincing too.

This is not the only company to send such claims about products. It would be nice to see some better proof so the public can be better informed.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Scar Care Forum - Hype vs. Proof Which Scar Care is Better?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:38:34 AM »
Here is an open invitation to those interested in Scar Care to offer proof, theories, and demonstration of why one product is better than another. How to measure scars and scarring.

Help us all learn how to make better scars and how to document that the method truly is superior.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates