//pvii begin //pvii end

Author Topic: Liposuction Forum - How Old Before You Can Get Liposuction?  (Read 14107 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hello Dr.Bermant, I was wondering how old you have to be to get liposuction?

You need to be old enough to actually have a localized fat contour problem requiring liposuction body contouring. Beyond that, if the individual is under the age of 18, they would need a parent to consider having any surgery.

I have seen some localized deformities where contouring that fat could help. This does not include using liposuction as an alternate to weight loss or for global issues. Surgery is not an alternative to losing weight. The body also is in flux with body fat distribution during puberty. Waiting for this to stabilize can also be an issue.

You can find many Teenagers with Gynecomastia where liposuction was an essential component of the surgical sculpture. You can learn more on this issue in this How Old Before Considering Gynecomastia Surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Joe Haley

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Re: Liposuction Forum - How Old Before You Can Get Liposuction?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:51 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing how old is too old for liposuction.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 07:35:11 AM »
I'd be interested in knowing how old is too old for liposuction.

The first issue with age is not the years, but the medical health. That is a major limiting factor for patient safety.

The second is the loose skin one of the most significant contour issues with aging. Liposuction Does Not Tighten Loose Skin. When loose skin is the factor as in this example, Tummy Tuck for Loose Skin After ]Liposuction. Those that claim liposuction tightens loose skin tend to hide picture demonstrations of loose skin such as bending over or videos showing the tissue bouncing or redundancy with flexing. That is the power of Standard Pictures for Tummy Tuck and Videos for Evaluating Loose Skin of the Stomach and Tummy Tuck Results.

We have an excellent resource here about How to Evaluate Photos of Problems of the Stomach and Tummy Tuck Pictures. Remember you need to use the links to see the resources and many examples. That page is a tool and reference to the many examples of loose tissue issues for the abdominal region.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Joe Haley

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:04:41 AM »
It does help, thank you.

Offline Joe Haley

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
I just watched the tumescent tummy tuck video (before and two years after).  Really great stuff!  It makes it clear as crystal the result is uniform and symmetric.  And the bend at the waist is right on.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:17:59 AM »
I just watched the tumescent tummy tuck video (before and two years after).  Really great stuff!  It makes it clear as crystal the result is uniform and symmetric.  And the bend at the waist is right on.

My standard pictures show so much more than one or two photo demonstrations shown on most doctors' web sites. However, one video can tell so much more of the story of the original problem and surgical sculpture than pictures alone. This is especially true when asking about extra skin, scars, and how tissues move.

In evaluating the quality of a particular surgical technique or for that matter a surgeon's artistry of this sculpture, one case alone has its limitations. Just like evaluating an artist by looking at one painting, you should go much further and look at a more extensive collection. My site is sort of a museum of surgical technique and my particular mastery of it. Look at many more of the videos and go through many more pages for any one section to understand the resources available.

The problem is that this represents what my patients typically look like. Not all surgeons have the same skills nor use the same techniques. But the tools that I used to improve my own methods are posted here in the standard pictures and videos. Use them but check carefully what any other surgeon really offers.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Joe Haley

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:07:33 AM »
I'm starting to realize how complicated a question this really is, and as very few surgeons take as much care in documenting their skills, I'm left with a kind of depressing feeling that if I decide to continue with my project I'm literally rolling the dice.  I no longer feel confidernt that the surgeons I've consulted have been completely honest, nor have demonstrated their sculptural capabilities.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:47:30 PM »
I'm starting to realize how complicated a question this really is, and as very few surgeons take as much care in documenting their skills, I'm left with a kind of depressing feeling that if I decide to continue with my project I'm literally rolling the dice.  I no longer feel confidernt that the surgeons I've consulted have been completely honest, nor have demonstrated their sculptural capabilities.

Many surgeons have no clue how to build web pages and images they put up cost them per image. For that reason I decided a long time ago not to depend on others to build my website or decide how complete to document problems or solutions.

Not putting up images in some cases is basically dishonest when a surgeon refuses to take a picture in a certain fashion such as with gynecomastia flexing the chest wall muscles. I have had several patients over the years complain about their surgeons refusing to take after surgery pictures of the patient flexing their pectoral muscles or lifting the arms up overhead. When a surgeon is asked by a patient to demonstrate a view like that the shows a problem but refuses, then, in my opinion that surgeon should be reported to their Plastic Surgery Societies as hiding bad results and not putting up typical examples .

Yes, that does add uncertainty to the deciding process. It is up to the public to ask about how a result will look. I think it is a valid question to ask to see how the surgery looks with muscle movement as I put up on my standard pictures. It is not realistic to ask for videos, that technology is quite complicated, but images are fair game.

If a surgeon does not put them on the internet, then they should have examples in their office to demonstrate such issues. The hassle for patient not viewing the content on the internet must pay for a consultation, take time to visit the surgeon, and then use valuable office time to sit looking at results. That is why having the content on the internet is of such value.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Joe Haley

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
Yes, well thank you for your time in explaining the ins and outs.

Offline wilberhunter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 05:08:25 AM »
Not everyone can get a liposuction. Not a good alternative to dieting or exercising either and to qualify, you must be over 18 and in good health.

non contributory spam link removed
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:56:01 AM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
Not everyone can get a liposuction. Not a good alternative to dieting or exercising either and to qualify, you must be over 18 and in good health.

That is not correct and demonstrates no knowledge of the topic. No, young gynecomastia patients who are under 18 do not need to wait until that age to have their problem addressed! You can find many such examples on my site.   

You can find many Teenagers with Gynecomastia where liposuction was an essential component of the surgical sculpture.

I removed a spam link to a yellow page liposuction site. That is a site that tries to get plastic surgeons to pay to have their practices listed but has no content. They seem to hire spam posters like the one banned to put links to their sites as if they are resources for content. From the pathetic attempts to post, the account was banned and the link deleted. Links to content that enhance the topic are permitted. Links just for SEO will be deleted and the account banned. The link should contribute content critical information as the linking in my posts.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates