Author Topic: Gynecomastia Forum - Travel from Overseas For Dr. Bermant's Experience  (Read 3029 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Dr. Bermant,

I have been following your website for the past four years since I learned about gyno and discovered that it is what has been wrong with my chest for so long.  I am a 27 year old male who has has gyno since 12 or 13.  I first went to the doctor about it as a late adolescent/ early teen because I thought I had breast cancer.  My doctor told me it was fatty deposits and it would go away with puberty.  It has troubled me my entire life it seems.  I may have an opportunity to be covered mostly by my insurance through the military.  I am currently overseas but plan to pursue this avenue once I return home.   I really like your work and you seem to be the most experienced (at least on the internet).  I am also somewhat nearby in WV.   I have a few questions though.

Thank you for your kind words about my surgical sculpture passion.

We see many Gynecomastia Patients from West Virginia and around the world who prefer my techniques and are glad to help you explore your concerns during a consult or our remote discussion. To minimize travel to Virginia most start out with our Preliminary Remote Discussion.

On average, how long does recovery take for a healthy male?   Most of the pictures I have seen are taken just a week or so after the surgery with very minimal bruising, if at all.

Recovery After Gynecomastia Surgery depends on the problem, what is done, skill of the surgeon, after surgery care, and many factors which we are glad to discuss during your consultation. What you see on my web site is typical for my patients. You can find a wide range of healing times demonstrating this specific point. Do not assume if another surgeon does not show pictures of the path their patients take to get from the problem to the solution, that they are like what you see on my site.

How long before lifting weights again would be possible, on average?

My patients are typically back to light activity the day after surgery. That means using a keyboard is fine, walking around is fine. Lifting the arms or bouncing is too much. I advise my patients, it is like recovering from a sprain. You cannot effectively put a time period on such an injury, but instead gradually phase back into it. Imagine telling someone with a sprain that they will be good to go in x days or y weeks!

Typically how long do the stitches last?

I use a variety of dissolvable sutures, several different sizes and materials on each case. It is rare for me to use sutures that need to be removed. The time for stitches to dissolve varies on what I need to do.

And last but not least, do you accept Tricare as an insurance provider?  I understand most insurance companies do not cover this surgery but I have been told by many and spoken with the ins. company myself and I should be able to covered.

Thank you for all that you do for gynecomastia and the men who suffer from it.

Sincerely,

Jane is my office manager and can better discuss insurance issues.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates