Author Topic: Incredible How Some Praise Surgery Video on the Web Without Checking Results  (Read 5293 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery videos on the internet are neat, but should include before and after results. I recently observed another forum's poster praise how great a video was for a plastic surgery procedure posted on UTube. Carefully looking at the result even in the operating room demonstrated a disfiguring defect. Using google to look for that doctor's practice revealed before and after photos also showing the same terrible results.

If bad results after surgery look like what a doctor shows you on the web or in the office, then you are achieving what that doctor's technique tends to offer. If you never looked for such examples of the surgery by that individual, and get bad results, you deserve what you got also. Doctors of the main Plastic Surgery Societies are required by the ethical rules of that society, to demonstrate typical results of their surgery in their website, office photos, or advertising.

Buyer beware.

We work hard to build resources on the internet that our patients then tell us their experiences were similar or better. When my patients tell me that, I feel like I have achieved my goals.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline jakubsnm

• View Profile
I've been doing some research on finding a good gynecomastia surgeon. Many sources like spam link removed advise you to look at the surgeon's before and after photographs. My concern is, how do you know they are actual photos of the doctor's real patients? Could they just be stock photography? Or am I looking too deep into this issue?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:57:03 PM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
I've been doing some research on finding a good gynecomastia surgeon. Many sources like spam link removed advise you to look at the surgeon's before and after photographs. My concern is, how do you know they are actual photos of the doctor's real patients? Could they just be stock photography? Or am I looking too deep into this issue?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

The site you linked to looks like they have stock pictures, I did not see any before afters nor section dealing with this issue.

Welcome to our forum. One way to start is by looking into what Plastic Surgery Societies a Surgeon belongs. For instance, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery both have stringent requirements about their members' photographs truthfully representing typical results of their real patients. Severe sanctions and possible expulsion await any surgeon caught claiming results that they did not achieve. Many sites do use stock pictures for images not actually representing before and after results. I did not, but I had so many thousands of images to draw from and I was making my web pages myself. I did use museum art work to demonstrate several points, but never represented that the art was my own work, just issues about contours as in my tour of Nasal Deformity in art. The photographic manipulations demonstrate just what is "normal" vs. "abnormal."  The same educational methods are common in a Plastic Surgeons office and what I used for my patients in their education for possible Rhinoplasty sculpture options, after having the patient sign a consent understanding the limitations of photographic manipulation and what actually was achieved in real life surgery.

No, you are not looking too deep into this topic.
Many pictures on the internet have issues that I have seen. I have posted guides on How to Evaluate Gynecomastia Pictures.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything