Author Topic: Belly Button Surgery Forum - Making New Navel Lost with Hernia Repair  (Read 10037 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hello.... I wanted to know is it possible to get a new bellybutton or cut out my belly button to form a new shape bellybutton without doing a tummy tuck? Reason being; I dont have excess skin and fat around my abdominal area. To give you and ideal I was born with a herina but the doctor cut it off but it still doesnt look like a normal bellybuttom. Is there any hope for me?

I have seen individuals with no belly button after hernia surgery that can be rebuilt and others that do not have good choices. For some, Revising the Belly Button Needs a Tummy Tuck. For others a more limited surgery may be possible such as in this Creating New Belly Button.

Options depend on the deformity, scarring, available resources, and many other factors that we are glad to help you explore during a consultation or our Preliminary Remote Discussion. If interested, Jane is my office manager and can explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Why not consider joining our forum and posting Standard Belly Button Pictures?

We have other posts pertaining to this issue:

Compromise of Making a New Belly Button

Some Revision Belly Button Surgery Require Making a New Belly Button

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Umbilicoplasty Belly Button Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Belly Button Surgery Forum - Making New Navel Lost with Hernia Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:42:43 AM »
Hellow Michael. I want to ask you. During the hernia removal surgeon had extracted the patient’s navel. Recently she have resorted to us. Do you know the effective way of navel reconstruction? I mean the realy aesthetic navel after reconstruction. Can you help me with scientific articles on this theme or video?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I am retired and no longer offering surgery nor specific advice on individual cases. But I am able to share my experiences in this forum.

The Missing Belly Button Looks Strange. It is just a natural focus point of the stomach.

This topic has come up many times before and I decided to post your question here on one of my prior answers.

Hello.... I wanted to know is it possible to get a new bellybutton or cut out my belly button to form a new shape bellybutton without doing a tummy tuck? Reason being; I dont have excess skin and fat around my abdominal area. To give you and ideal I was born with a herina but the doctor cut it off but it still doesnt look like a normal bellybuttom. Is there any hope for me?

I have seen individuals with no belly button after hernia surgery that can be rebuilt and others that do not have good choices. For some, Revising the Belly Button Needs a Tummy Tuck. For others a more limited surgery may be possible such as in this Creating New Belly Button.

Options depend on the deformity, scarring, available resources, and many other factors.

We have other posts pertaining to this issue:

Compromise of Making a New Belly Button

Some Revision Belly Button Surgery Require Making a New Belly Button

Just how good someone's methods are should be measured more than by a few limited pictures. At least there should be my Standard Belly Button Pictures. But the navel is the Tether Point of the Abdomen and a natural look should also look good as the tissues move. Still photos just do not do it. Standard Tummy Tuck Videos are much more critical defining the problem and claims of success.

Neoumbilicoplasty is a difficult task depending on the problem to be treated. There is also the hernia repair that gets in the way especially if mesh was used externally on the fascia. There is no practical way to make skin to mesh interface (base of belly button) withstand long term. As you would expect, erosion is just too much of a risk. Leave any fat behind in the base, and there is no tethering, but a floating belly button. This point becomes obvious once understanding the Anatomy of the Belly Button. Sometimes surgery at best is going to be a compromise especially when resources are limited. At other times, a Tummy Tuck Revision can save the day. But the patient needs the resources for such answers.

I almost have finished an Anatomy of Tumescent Tummy Tuck that shows the steps I used when shaping the new bally button. Perhaps I will make a subset just for the belly button. But that project is not yet done and has taken an extraordinary amount of time to complete. It is a project I started after completing the Navel Anatomy Drawing series.

This is not an operation for the inexperienced surgeon and better referred to someone with experience, the ability to work in very tiny spaces, and a three dimensional thinking that can adapt to tissues distorted by the anesthetic solution.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Umbilicoplasty Belly Button Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates