Author Topic: Liposuction Forum - Treatment for Lipedema Near Pittsburgh  (Read 7109 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Liposuction Forum - Treatment for Lipedema Near Pittsburgh
« on: June 24, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »
Dr. Bermant,
I suffer from Lipedema. Recently, I attended a conference in a suburb of Chicago at which Dr Stefan Rapprich of Darmstadt, Germany, made a presentation about Lipedema and the efficacy of Tumescent  Local Anesthesia With Vibrating Micro Cannula Liposuction. He confirmed my diagnoses and discussed this procedure with me. I am a resident Pittsburgh and am seeking a plastic surgeon closer to my home  to discuss the appropriateness of this procedure for my condition. Can you assist me with a referral  to a physician in my area ?
I am very distressed by this condition and would greatly appreciate a response from you at your earliest convenience. If you cannot make the requested referral, I would be interested in knowing whether you have treated patients with Lipedema, and what method you have used.

Thank you for your attention and anticipated response.

Sincerely,

Here is a summary of his article in the Dermatology Literature:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21166777

The volume of the leg was reduced by 6.99 %. Pain, as the predominant symptom in lipedema, was significantly reduced from 7.2 ± 2.2 to 2.1 ± 2.1 (p < 0.001). Quality of life as a measure of the psychological strain caused by lipedema improved from 8.7 ± 1.7 to 3.6 ± 2.5 (p < 0.001). Other parameters also showed a significant improvement and the over-all severity score improved in all patients.

I do not treat that condition, nor have evaluated any claims for success. The question becomes just how "significant" this improvement is a question any patient undergoing such treatment should carefully investigate. It is always best to understand limitations and what can be done.  You should be looking for actual patient experiences of what it was like before treatment, what the recovery was like, and what improvements were seen and lacking.

Using my Standard Pictures for Liposuction, document the problem, and results. This can be a dynamic problem and adopting my Standard Videos for Tummy Tuck, document how the involved parts move before and after treatment. The same careful documentation can be applied to the recoverying process.

Then look for actual patient experiences with that technique and the surgeon's skills with that method.

I find it interesting that there does not seem to be any pictures on the internet of the problem nor the success of treatment. This forum can be a place to explore your options and concerns. Share what it is like living with this condition. Surgeons with a passion can then consider helping with the education of what they offer and the advantages of their techniques. Facts, photographic and video documentation and video taped experiences are much more powerful tools than hand waving with words when attempting to separate hype from real results.

This forum is evolving and I have yet to build the specific how to pick a liposuction surgeon. You can start here:

How to Pick you Tummy Tuck Surgeon and extrapolate. Remember the body moves and doctor trying to document their results ignoring that movement can hide significant deformities that show in real life. Use the same extrapolation with our How To Evaluate Tummy Tuck Pictures.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates