Author Topic: Plastic Surgery Forum - Example How to Create Hermaphrodite with Both Sex Organs  (Read 22362 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
can you supply any info either written or on the  web of a male or female surgery to have both sex organs so they could become a hermaphrodite!

seems it could be easier for a male.

thanks

Intersex vs. Hermaphrodite Issues normally involve gender issues of body realization of brain identity. Trying to actually create both gender organs in the same body might be possible but would be an extreme ethical issue for any doctor considering offering such intervention.

I know of no surgeon who has attempted such surgery. I would not offer it.

This forum was designed however, for those interested in exploring issues involving plastic surgery. You are welcome to use it to express your concerns and issues about such options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Dear Dr. Bermant,

I'm sorry to disturb you, but I am currently researching into this possibility of the conversion to a true hermaphrodite. I noted in your post that you mentioned that many doctors/surgeons would have an ethical conflict with the idea of creating such a method. The only belief that I could see creating an ethical conflict would be the fading belief in the gender binary. I can speak from experience as a pansexual that this theory is outdated, that everyone has a share of masculine and feminine traits landing them somewhere between the two extremes of the spectrum. I wish to know of any other ethical conflicts that I am ignorant of. I would also inquire if there are any plastic surgeons that would be willing to support the modification. As far as I can find, you are the only doctor willing to even respond to this question and I'm interested in learning more on this controversial topic.   

Sincerely,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I still know of no surgeon who has or would offer that operation. If that surgeon did, my guess is that the surgeon might be brought up on ethics charges by the Plastic Surgery Societies or lose their ability to practice medicine by the licensing bodies. Over the many years of my practice, I have been asked to perform operations that I thought were inappropriate or unethical, which I refused. Yet there were other operations that I offered that others did not because I felt it was irresponsible not to operate for that problem. 

You are welcome to join this forum to state your case for a True Hermaphrodite and perhaps others might have a different opinion like yourself.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Pan

• View Profile
I would like to thank you for your swift response. I appreciate your serious attitude toward the subject, as most of my views are met with a high amount of criticism. As i am not a plastic surgeon, I am not familiar of the lines painted by plastic surgery societies. I merely wish to support those who would identify themselves as something outside of the gender binary, and allow them the opportunity to pursue their true gender. Mental gender is not something that cannot be so easily defined as either male or female. i wish to open up new opportunities to people that wish to pursue them. If trans-gender persons are allowed to align their physical gender to that of their mental gender than why can't those that have prominent feminine traits and masculine traits chose to align their physical self with that of their mental gender.

If you are open to the question, could you please answer what ethical issues are infringed upon by this surgery? You may be retired, yet I have a feeling that most of the people on the ethical committee were most likely raised in a time more similar to your time than mine. Thus, you would probably have a closer ethics mindset to theirs than mine, and i would like to know if there are any ethical issues that I have not considered.

Once again i would like to thank you for your time.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
I would like to thank you for your swift response. I appreciate your serious attitude toward the subject, as most of my views are met with a high amount of criticism. As i am not a plastic surgeon, I am not familiar of the lines painted by plastic surgery societies. I merely wish to support those who would identify themselves as something outside of the gender binary, and allow them the opportunity to pursue their true gender. Mental gender is not something that cannot be so easily defined as either male or female. i wish to open up new opportunities to people that wish to pursue them. If trans-gender persons are allowed to align their physical gender to that of their mental gender than why can't those that have prominent feminine traits and masculine traits chose to align their physical self with that of their mental gender.

If you are open to the question, could you please answer what ethical issues are infringed upon by this surgery? You may be retired, yet I have a feeling that most of the people on the ethical committee were most likely raised in a time more similar to your time than mine. Thus, you would probably have a closer ethics mindset to theirs than mine, and i would like to know if there are any ethical issues that I have not considered.

Once again i would like to thank you for your time.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Actually I have talked with quite a few people who felt that they were something between male and female and felt they had some of the characteristics of both. An undiagnosed Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia body is exposed to massive amounts of both male and female hormones. This creates body characteristics of both sexes as demonstrated by the xx male patient who came to me with breast regrowth after surgery by another plastic surgeon. This Transgender Surgery Female To Male for CAH had many sad ramifications that would have been avoided by correct evaluation and treatment as a child, the XX person would have grown up as a woman. The choices were quite difficult now as someone who felt they were a male in an XX body but who would need testosterone to keep the body that way once the defect in the adrenal glands was fixed.

Another group of men who have expressed to me that they faced with having both male and female feelings are Klinefelter Syndrome or XXY men. On those pages you can find resources of other to talk with who may share some of the same issues or feelings.

However as a surgical sculptor, I have an obligation of what I choose to sculpt and create. Although I could have made money making forked tongues, a "clown's nose," a Spock, elf, or Satyr ear, I chose to refuse those requests and instead offered corrections the other way. I wanted sculptures that my patients could enjoy the rest of their lives. Not something that they might regret and have no reasonable way back.

Transgender Surgery has many ethical issues to deal with. There are resources there too to learn from.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates