Author Topic: Face Lift Forum - Face lift question  (Read 6103 times)

Offline coltleader

• View Profile
Face Lift Forum - Face lift question
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »
As far as scarring goes, I think it all depends. Everyone is so different and recovery times can vary a lot! My mother is seriously considering getting a lifestyle lift. I don't know much about the procedure and I want to be able to help care for her and help her recover as much as I can. Is there any information that anyone can offer me about the actual lift and what she should expect? Anything at all would help! Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:47:48 AM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Face Lift Forum - Face lift question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »
As far as scarring goes, I think it all depends. Everyone is so different and recovery times can vary a lot! My mother is seriously considering getting a lifestyle lift. I don't know much about the procedure and I want to be able to help care for her and help her recover as much as I can. Is there any information that anyone can offer me about the actual lift and what she should expect? Anything at all would help! Thanks!

Your link was removed, but that pathetic site demonstrates why that operation is a disaster. The before and after surgery images on the first page are indicative of a scam. The before picture has the face not smiling, the after smiling as if the smile means that she is happy with the result. The lighting is different. Notice the shadows, lighting, and background. Changing the lighting negated a before and after comparison. If you after surgery lighting were used in the before picture, there would be a more valid comparison, not the scam purported by those advocating lesser techniques.

What is amazing about the site you posted is that the only before and after images were of only one patient and one view. The true test of a technique is showing the facial contours from many different sides and during facial expression. A good technique should be able to have many more before and after examples. Scam techniques do not show such documentation but instead depend on verbal subterfuge hand waving. There were 10 pages of "testimony", and not one additional picture demonstrating results. Well if we were just reading books, such claims would be great. However, real patients want to look good out in public, talking with their friends, blinking their eyes, laughing without distortion. Such issues are the horror stories I have seen on patients done by other surgeons. Watch them talk, laugh, or just move their eyes around, and the look is unnatural, surgical, and not something I would advocate.

I left the Face Lift plastic surgery market many years ago and my documentation methodology has moved on quite a bit since those pages were built. Even when the patients were done I was learning that additional views were critical in evaluating the problem and the results.

Standard views should include

Front
Left Lateral
Right Lateral
Left Oblique
Right Oblique

Each view should have examples of

face relaxed
big smile
frown

The frontal view should have examples of how the surgery is effecting the eyelids. Facelift and eyelid surgery are so interconnected that both issues should be demonstrated.

Blepharoplasty Pictures should include eyes from the front

looking ahead
looking up
looking down
looking up to the left
looking up to the right
closed gently
closed tightly

Side views are also important and should include

looking straight ahead
looking up
looking down
closed gently
closed tightly

Videos of these actions would be even more telling of problems, deformity, and solutions.

My use of gravity for the loose skin of the stomach and chest also has taught me that that view might be useful in the face, but I was no longer offering facial surgery after I discovered that tool.

Beyond the before and after surgery pictures is the route taken to get there. Blepharoplasty Healing Pictures and Early After Facelift Surgery Pictures can be tools to demonstrate swelling, bruising, and recovery after surgery. Here is a much more thourough demonstration with my Recovery,Bruising, and Swelling after Tummy Tuck.

Add video and emotion like I am doing with my Video Documentation Revision Tummy Tuck and the documentation becomes even more revealing and accurate.

Perhaps one day, I will update that aged facelift and blepharoplasty sections to reflect such issues. But any site claiming to have a working current solution for a plastic surgery technique should use current documentation capabilities. Those interested in having such surgery should investigate claims of success carefully before ending up looking like some of the disasters I have seen, unless that is the look you are interested in Blepharplasty eyelid surgery or a facelift.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline NancyPike

• Restricted Modification
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:58:35 AM »
cosmetic surgery and procedures are not much essential, but people are willing to pay, then doctors are willing to do. A facelift is the perfect example of this kind of procedure; the facelift cost is usually astronomical but as long as people are willing to pay for facelifts, they will continue to be utilized in society.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:49:26 AM »
cosmetic surgery and procedures are not much essential, but people are willing to pay, then doctors are willing to do. A facelift is the perfect example of this kind of procedure; the facelift cost is usually astronomical but as long as people are willing to pay for facelifts, they will continue to be utilized in society.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Costs and Prices of Plastic Surgery can vary from doctor to doctor and around the world. Many have told me that their surgery was an investment in their future and just made them feel better. Others considered it a business expense to stay "competitive" they could not "look old." Yet others told me that they did it to look in the mirror how they felt.

Expense is not just in money spent on surgery, but how much time away from business and work or down time. That adds the element of seeing the in between path. What was recovery like? Pictures and videos documenting down time can help someone trying to estimate costs of any operation.

The cost actually can become astronomical when done by inexpert people hiding bad skills behind marketing gamesmanship. That is why it is so critical to see how a surgeon's results look and move which was the basis of my answer and the problems with the first poster's requested technique. Revision surgery, if it can be done, is usually much more expensive and time away from activities.

How did your answer have anything to do with the first poster's question or my prior answer?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates