Author Topic: Unhappy with previous otoplasty procedure..  (Read 5145 times)

Offline nsab1207

• View Profile
Unhappy with previous otoplasty procedure..
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
Hi Dr. Bermant,

Seven years ago I had otoplasty performed to help with protruding ears. The procedure went alright until a few of my friends began noticing differences with my ears and pointing them out to me. For starters, the top of my left ear still protrudes more than my right. Secondly, the centre of my left ear is thinner than the right while the right appears thick and flat. I've visited a plastic surgeon who told me he couldn't do anything for me because the previous surgeon had cut through cartilage.

Since my friends have started commenting on these differences, I have found it extremely difficult to tie up my hair out of my face and reveal my ears because I am embarrassed. The only time I tie my hair up is if it is covering my ears or if I am wearing a thick headband to cover them up.

Can you suggest anything for me? Would you be able to take a look at it for me?

Thank you.
- N

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Unhappy with previous otoplasty procedure..
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »
Hi Dr. Bermant,

Seven years ago I had otoplasty performed to help with protruding ears. The procedure went alright until a few of my friends began noticing differences with my ears and pointing them out to me. For starters, the top of my left ear still protrudes more than my right. Secondly, the centre of my left ear is thinner than the right while the right appears thick and flat. I've visited a plastic surgeon who told me he couldn't do anything for me because the previous surgeon had cut through cartilage.

Since my friends have started commenting on these differences, I have found it extremely difficult to tie up my hair out of my face and reveal my ears because I am embarrassed. The only time I tie my hair up is if it is covering my ears or if I am wearing a thick headband to cover them up.

Can you suggest anything for me? Would you be able to take a look at it for me?

Thank you.
- N

There can be a great deal of Emotion About Ear Deformity and Otoplasty. Is there remaining deformity or have you failed to deal with the emotional healing? That is where posting my Standard Otoplasty Pictures can help others better understand your concerns.

Options depend on many factors. Ear surgery has its limitations. Cartilage is fickle material to sculpt with. With my retirement so near, there are no further operating dates available for Revision Otoplasty Surgery. Yet some still prefer my medical advice before I retire even if I can no longer offer actual surgery. If that is the case, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737. Otherwise this forum has been designed for individuals like yourself to explore their concerns and attract other surgeons with a passion for this sculpture to provide answers.

Welcome to our forum.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates