Author Topic: question regarding sensation in nipples  (Read 10145 times)

Offline sas9946

• View Profile
question regarding sensation in nipples
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:46:01 PM »
I had a breast reduction 2 years ago and had the nipples removed and then put back on(forgive my lack of medical terms) because of the large size of my breasts.  Is it normal to have no feeling in my nipples? 

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: question regarding sensation in nipples
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »
I had a breast reduction 2 years ago and had the nipples removed and then put back on(forgive my lack of medical terms) because of the large size of my breasts.  Is it normal to have no feeling in my nipples?

I prefer Breast Reduction Surgery techniques that keep the nipple attached to the tissues that provide sensation and blood supply. For some severe problems the sculpture requires the nipple to be detached. This is called a free nipple graft. This graft tends to have poor to no sensation as nerves need to grow back into the tissue. They tend to have significant pigment changes being darker than nipples that have their own blood and nerve supply intact. Free Nipple Grafts also tend to lose their ability to contract as the nerves to the areola muscles also are cut.

Better surgeons can avoid this attachment for all but extreme cases.

Welcome to our forum. Consider posting images to demonstrate the look if there are issues.

Consider using our Standard Breast Reduction Pictures to let others understand any concerns. Such pictures do not demonstrate sensation issues. I have had patients demonstrate sensation issues during Breast Reduction Videos where I ask them to point to where they have normal, diminished or absent sensation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction and Lift in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Lancelot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
Nipple and breast sensation changes after breast augmentation can cause an increase or decrease in sensitivity in the breast area.  Changes can vary from extreme sensitivity to no sensation at all.  The physiological response to stimuli (sexual and non-sexual) and the ability to nurse a baby can be adversely affected by nipple and breast sensation changes after breast augmentation.  These nipple and breast sensation changes may be temporary or permanent, depending upon the type of nerve damage or other injury caused during breast augmentation surgery.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:43 AM »
Nipple and breast sensation changes after breast augmentation can cause an increase or decrease in sensitivity in the breast area.  Changes can vary from extreme sensitivity to no sensation at all.  The physiological response to stimuli (sexual and non-sexual) and the ability to nurse a baby can be adversely affected by nipple and breast sensation changes after breast augmentation.  These nipple and breast sensation changes may be temporary or permanent, depending upon the type of nerve damage or other injury caused during breast augmentation surgery.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

Sensation issues are completely different between breast augmentation and Breast Reduction Surgery. This is like comparing apples and oranges. Sensation issues involve what is cut during surgery. Reduction of a breast means tissue is removed. Just how this tissue is removed is a key factor in issues like sensation. There are also variations in breast augmentation depending on approach, where implant is placed, and many other factors.

Breast feeding changes is rarely a factor for augmentation, but can be a factor with some breast reduction methods.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline lradke89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've heard that it you should visit your plastic surgeon when there is numbness around the nipples following surgery. Is that true?

---------------------

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »
Thanks for the input. I've heard that it you should visit your plastic surgeon when there is numbness around the nipples following surgery. Is that true?

---------------------

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

Female Breast Reduction Forum - Sensation Nipples and Areola After Surgery is another thread about this same issue.

Numbness in nipples can be an expected Breast Reduction Complication that I discussed with each patient depending on the problem to be treated or technique used. Each Breast Reduction Surgery has its own design, and limitations. In removing extra female breast tissue, the nipple areola region is usually supported on a Pedicle Flap seen in these Graphic Pictures during Breast Reduction Surgery. That is where the nipple and areola must get their blood and nerve supply. Different surgery designs involve cutting different nerves or blood vessels to achieve their design. The most nerve damaging of the designs, I rarely used: the Free Nipple Graft. I tried to avoid the Free Graft  because Breast Feeding After Breast Reduction issues.

So, calling the plastic surgeon after surgery depends on what someone was told before the operation. My patients already were told what to expect so that is a call I do not remember getting. We actually looked at that issue during the first breast exam shortly after surgery, and the patient asked about the sensation issue. Yet, my patients also were told to call me immediately if they had questions or something was not going like what they saw on my web site. But that was the power of showing the path taken during recovery for my methods. Check out these Breast Reduction Experiences Videos to see what I mean.

So visiting the doctor after surgery for breast numbness? Yes, all my patients were required to visit me after breast reduction as part of their normal follow up. The numbness was discussed. But the visit was not for the numbness, it was for many things as part of the after surgery evaluation, examination, and normal follow up. I would worry about any breast reduction surgeon not having such a requirement.

For me the fun of it was when a patient told me that they had normal sensation after breast reduction. That is something I tried to achieve, but never expected, just wished for. When it happened, it was one more element of pleasure in a successful surgical sculpture.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates