Author Topic: Steri-Strips and Injury During Scar Massage Question  (Read 5927 times)

Offline Matt

• View Profile
Steri-Strips and Injury During Scar Massage Question
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
Hello,

I had Gynecomastia surgery approx 2.5 weeks ago. I was conducting a routine scar treatment massage a couple of nights ago. I believe that I may have busted the edges of the steri-strips, and caused one of the incisions along the top nipple/chest interface to reopen (Maybe?). I saw an incision line and the skin slightly pulled away from it. Left alone, the wound pain was akin to a very very bad paper-cut, with a sharp burning sensation. The steri-strip wasnt long enough to adhere the skin back together. I was worried about infection and not healing correctly, so I took Betadine and washed the area, when it was dry I pushed the incision back together and applied a liquid bandage complex to keep it closed (pharmacists in the area had no idea what a steri-strip was.....wtf?).

My question is, were these actions correct?

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Steri-Strips and Injury During Scar Massage Question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
Hello,

I had Gynecomastia surgery approx 2.5 weeks ago. I was conducting a routine scar treatment massage a couple of nights ago. I believe that I may have busted the edges of the steri-strips, and caused one of the incisions along the top nipple/chest interface to reopen (Maybe?). I saw an incision line and the skin slightly pulled away from it. Left alone, the wound pain was akin to a very very bad paper-cut, with a sharp burning sensation. The steri-strip wasnt long enough to adhere the skin back together. I was worried about infection and not healing correctly, so I took Betadine and washed the area, when it was dry I pushed the incision back together and applied a liquid bandage complex to keep it closed (pharmacists in the area had no idea what a steri-strip was.....wtf?).

My question is, were these actions correct?

Push healing tissues too far too soon and injury is a likely outcome. That is why my patients are instructed not to start their superficial scar care until at least 4 weeks after surgery. Patients are best off following their surgeon's after surgery care plan if they want optimal results. New injury after surgery can complicate healing and should be discussed with your surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:48 PM »
Um, you were my surgeon.

Anyway, I got confused about the timing of the scar tissue massaging. So, what is the correct method of moving forward with this? Am I ok?

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
Um, you were my surgeon.

Anyway, I got confused about the timing of the scar tissue massaging. So, what is the correct method of moving forward with this? Am I ok?
We are happy to discuss your concerns and options. Please call Jane to set up a time.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates