Author Topic: Revision  (Read 9542 times)

Offline bioycasares

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Revision
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
  I had otoplasty 40 days ago and now my ear is sort of extremely swollen (but it feels hard to the touch).

I'd really appreciate information on how to improve the looks of my ear.

Thanks a lot DrBermant!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:03:46 PM by bioycasares »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Otoplasty gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
  I had otoplasty 40 days ago and I wish I never had. One of my ears used to stick out;now it has something that looks like a giant ball right above the earlobe. At first, the surgeon told me everything had gone well and not until two weeks ago did he admit that ''my operated ear was going to look 'a bit thicker'(haha) than the other one''...

I'd really appreciate information on how to correct the results of the poor surgery, how much will it cost, etc.
                                                      Thanks a lot
PS: idk if I was able to attach the image :S

Welcome to our Otoplasty Forum.

/file:///C:/Users/Facu/Desktop/deformity.bmp

You put links to files on your computer, not on the internet. If you are going to use the link option, the files must be accessible to anyone viewing the page. If you want to load images from your computer to this site, in the edit window use the "Attachments and other options" link.

Here is a discussion about how to post images here in another topic on Gynecomastia Forum - New Resource Introduction to Gynecomastia. I will be adding that detail to a more generic resource location sometime soon.

Otoplasty Surgery Swelling can vary from problem to be treated. More extensive operations such as Macrotia Big Ear Reduction Surgery inherently have more swelling initially, that goes down over time. Such swelling also varies from patient to patient. That is why I put up so many examples of the path my patients were taking. It was a powerful tool for patient expectation and having patients call me early in their recovery so I could intervene (if necessary, which rarely happened).

Otoplasty Recovery varies from surgeon to surgeon. Those using techniques that tend to damage tissues more, have more swelling.

As with any surgery, Otoplasty Complications can happen. Feeling thicker from the stiffness of injured cartilage is much more common that looking thicker. If the results do not look close to what your surgeon showed you before surgery, then there may be an issue. I worked very hard throughout my career to have my patients tell me that their experiences were close to or better than what they found on my site. Unfortunately, no surgeon can offer guarantees. When doctors do not post such early after surgery photos, patients are left not knowing what path they need to travel after surgery.

Why not consider posting Standard Otoplasty Pictures preferably before and after surgery so others can better understand your concerns.

Options depend on the original problem, what was done, healing, and many other factors.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline bioycasares

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »
 Thanks a lot!

btw,does the link to megaupload work?

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
Thanks a lot!

btw,does the link to megaupload work?

Do not know what works, I prefer to put images on my web pages with greater detail so I do not use such services myself nor have I tracked where images I see in forums come from.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline bioycasares

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »
I don't know of any way other than megaupload to upload images unfortunately. When I click on 'attachments and other options' there's actually no option to attach files.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BGNC4D9Q [nofollow]

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:16:52 PM »
I don't know of any way other than megaupload to upload images unfortunately. When I click on 'attachments and other options' there's actually no option to attach files.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BGNC4D9Q

You have posted a download link, not an image link. For a URL to work in an image tag, that URL should result in an image when that URL is pasted into the browser's link window. In your case, the URL goes not to an image but a download page that does not result in an image.

You then follow the instructions I posted in this thread on how to post images as links:

http://www.abodybeautiful.com/forum/index.php/topic,263.msg445.html#msg445

Hey Dr. Bermant, can you explain to me how to properly post a picture? I tried going to click the image button and then copy and paste the image in between the image text. I also tried the help and search tools but have unsuccessfully not been able to post a picture.

This forum is set up to minimize the spam advertisers plaguing the internet yet reward those who contribute to the public education. Unless you have 5 posts, linking is not permitted unless it is to another post on this site. After this minimum number of posts, links are permitted to other web sites but they are disabled to not actually work unless you copy the code and paste it in a browser. After the next level there are real links but labeled by for the search engines as not yet reliable content to search engine optimize. Once you have achieved the highest level of participation here, the links are without limits.

For those wanting to post images I can manually enable their profiles to bypass that restriction as I just did for yours. Now you should be able to take a valid URL of an image that shows up in a browser such as:

http://www.abodybeautiful.com/forum/images/california_gynecomastia_64_5.jpg

Select that entire line, then go to the far left button in the second row (rollover will say Insert Image), select that and you get:

an image right in line. A link to your post works, when you have the right to do so since it is on this site:

http://www.abodybeautiful.com/forum/index.php/topic,367.msg445.html

I like making my links easier to read and use the following code:

Experiences with Dr. Bermant.

Other buttons and tools for posting help can be found here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Basic_bulletin_board_codes

but that is getting complex now. The second button is supposed to be the URL button, but it does not work for me. Instead of trying to figure it out, I just manually paste my template form into my post and go from there.

There is another way to get images attached. At the bottom of the typing window for making a post is Attachments and other options. This will permit you to put a file up from your computer to the forum with restrictions. There is a max of 4 such attachments per post. The images show up small, but you can click on them to see them at a larger size.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

the second error is that you posted just the URL itself without including the image brackets seen in the first icon second row that when the mouse is over says insert image. The simplest way to get that done is to select the link text then click on that button. Preview will work showing the image.

The attach image spam prevention tool may prevent posters with less than a certain number of posts from putting up images that way. I have updated your post count so that should no longer be a problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline bioycasares

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
Before surgery:

Offline bioycasares

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Re: Revision
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
I've posted the pictures before and after surgery. I think now I've got the ''telephone ear deformity'' plus a very very thick piece of cartilage at the bottom of the ear. Can you tell me what options are there to improve my ear and what were the problems with the way my surgery was done?

thanks a lot

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Re: Revision
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:38 AM »
I've posted the pictures before and after surgery. I think now I've got the ''telephone ear deformity'' plus a very very thick piece of cartilage at the bottom of the ear. Can you tell me what options are there to improve my ear and what were the problems with the way my surgery was done?

thanks a lot

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Revisin Otoplasty requires much skill and experience. Tissue usually needs to heal before considering most revision options.

Sorry, the one image you posted here does not show anything that I can see. The Telephone Ear Deformity comes in many different variations.  When I was doing this, I preferred much more details before offering advice for my patients.
 Options depend on the original problem, what was done, the resultant deformity, and many other factors best explored during a consultation by an experienced surgeon who can demonstrate skills with such issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates