Author Topic: Otoplasty Forum - Bat Ear Deformity Where To Get Fixed Travel From South Africa  (Read 5445 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Request from South Africa:
Hi Doctor

My ears look like a bats ears and I would like it to go back, I stay in Gauteng Eldorado park I don’t know where I can go to do this

Regards,

This should not be construed as advice nor as a medical opinion, as I am no longer practicing after 8/31/11. You are welcome to join our new support group, post questions, help others.

Ear Pinback Otoplasty for Bat Ear Deformity brings the projecting ear closer to the head. The deformity can have one or several components causing the projection. This is an art form, and if each contributing element is not addressed, the result can look bizarre and unnatural. Not all surgeons have the same skills nor use the same techniques.  That is why it is so critical on learning How to Pick Your Otoplasty Surgeon. To start, you will need to better understand How To Evaluate Otoplasty Pictures to see the issues of the deformity and just what skills that surgeon brings to this sculpture.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline PeerHansen

• View Profile
Interesting - I would as an alternative look at newbielink:http://www.sorribesonline.com/en/benefits/no-surgery.aspx- [nonactive]

This procedure is without having to do any kind of convetional surgery!

Might be worth a try?

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Interesting - I would as an alternative look at----

This procedure is without having to do any kind of convetional surgery!

Might be worth a try?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

There are several pressure treatment methods that have been described in the literature. Some show acceptable before and after pictures.

Good documentation should include at least Standard Otoplasty Pictures. Use our tools on How to Evaluate Otoplasty Pictures to judge for yourself if any particular method is being complete enough for their documentation. Whether it is surgery or another method to manage a contour, good documentation is a good way to start understanding a claim.

In the case you have posted, the pictures are not that complete. They include too few views to critically understand the problem and treatment. I find it disturbing that they do not even offer the views they request for a picture evaluation. That set is less complete than mine, but they should at least be able to show their complete set for documentation.

The effectiveness of such methods depends on the flexibility of the cartilage. As the ear matures, cartilage becomes more firm and less able to bend or maintain a bent shape. For that site, I could find no way to test for that or if they have analyzed such issues other than showing a single example for ages 3 months, 5 months, 4 years, and 19 years.

Ear deformity can involve several different components. Good documentation should involve how effective the method is for each type deformity. In my Dynamic Technique Otoplasty Ear Surgery, I needed to adapt the surgery technique to manage the components of the specific problem. Use the wrong method for the wrong diagnosis and you can get a problem like this  Revision Surgery For Over-folded Otoplasty Disaster.

Compliance: it can be very difficult to keep a shape bending device on the ear of a young child. It depends on the design and many other factors. I did not see any documentation about that aspect how their design dealing with that detail.

Their site claims an 80% effective rate. That would not be acceptable to me at all for my methods. Failure for 1/5 of all patients would be unacceptable. But for the right deformity, the right pressure method can be great if surgery can be avoided. I would want to see a much more effective documentation system and how each type of ear deformity was managed.

Perhaps one of the advocates of that method can come here and demonstrate their results and the other details missing from that site.

If this is for your own ears, why not consider posting a complete set of standard pictures so others can better understand your concerns.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything