Facial Plastic Surgery Forum > Cleft Lip Palate or Nose Deformity

Cleft Lip and Palate Forum - Microform cleft Lip Nose and Ear

(1/1)

DrBermant:

--- Quote ---My 2 yr old daughter was born w/ a microform cleft lip on her right side. The 'scar' goes up slightly in to her right nostril and her right nostril is slightly 'smooched' down w/ deviation. Her gum also has a 'scar' and no baby tooth has erupted in that location. She also was born w/ very tiny ear canals, but hearing seems good. Lastly, we just found out that their might be soft palate interference as air escapes thru her sinuses with certain words. My questions are: in your experience does this defect tend to be more noticeable/ pronounced w/ age? Is their any reason, besides cosmetic, to have it repaired? How can a soft palate defect go unnoticed until the child starts talking? And can tiny ear canals be related to the microform cleft? And how rare is this defect?
--- End quote ---

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I have had a fascination with the cleft deformities since my early training. Here is a drawing of a Mother with Cleft Child that I did in response to a letter years ago.

As a retired physician, I am no longer offering medical advice nor opinions.  I built this new discussion board since our old Cleft Lip and Palate Board was static and questions could not be posted there.

The cleft deformity can involve the lip, palate, nose, and ear canal. Each region can be affected to different degrees. The microform deformity is one variation of partial lip involvement.

Cleft deformity can be a major factor in a child and family life. There is much to learn about the issues. This should be done under the direction of an effective Cleft Lip Team and typically involves many visits and years of followup. Timing for cleft surgery depends on many factors. Some surgical intervention is done earlier than others and should be explored with the Cleft Team you are seeking specific advice from.

You are welcome to use this forum to post concerns and issues you are facing. This forum was built to enable those with questions to connect to others with a passion for this problem and offering treatment options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

mistygreen:
I think this information helpful for me ..I am searching for along time about such type of surgery related information.Thanks.

DrBermant:

--- Quote from: mistygreen on May 07, 2012, 09:26:31 AM ---I think this information helpful for me ..I am searching for along time about such type of surgery related information.Thanks.

--- End quote ---

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our discussion group. What type of plastic surgery related information are you looking for?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version