Author Topic: Female Breast Reduction - Swelling, Tender, Discharge After Surgery  (Read 5244 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Dear Dr. Bermant;

I had bilateral reduction mammoplasty 2 weeks ago and seemed to be recovering well. On Day 12 (or thereabouts), I began experiencing pain in both breasts. This is Day 16. The breasts are very tender and warm/hot when touched. Sometimes they feel like they are burning….or the skin is being stretched too thin. I cannot tell if they are swollen because I’m not sure what my new breast size is supposed to look like. The symptoms may be similar to symptoms I had as a result of a breast infection when breastfeeding 20 years ago.

Until a couple of days ago, there was an orangey clear discharge from the right breast. Yesterday, I touched the incision area below the nipple (from where the discharge came). My finger had an unpleasant smell. The nipples are very sensitive and seem to be stimulated often (without being touched). I’m wondering if this is normal in the recovery process. If not, how should I proceed? I am also wondering about necrosis. I would appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

Sincerely,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Have you contacted your surgeon? When I was in practice, my patients were told to contact me immediately for symptoms such as increased temperature, pain, and swelling. Those symptoms could mean there is an infection and should be discussed / evaluated immediately. No, those symptoms are not typical after breast reduction surgery. An infection can be a major complication in healing and final result and, thankfully, was quite rare in my practice.

The Breast Reduction Before & After Movies were how my patients typically progressed after surgery. My before and after surgery evolution pictures and movies were posted so my patients could see what they should typically expect after my surgery.
Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction and Lift in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Female Breast Reduction - Swelling, Tender, Discharge After Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:39:44 AM »
Dear Dr. Bermant,

Thank you very much for your reply, comments, the link, and for posting my situation on the forum.

Since I sent you the first email, I have been in contact with my surgeon’s office. Since their office is not local, they advised me to see my family doctor until my next appointment with my surgeon. Although I could not get an immediate appointment with my family doctor, I received the utmost care from a wonderful doctor at a walk-in clinic. She gently removed the tape from my incisions, cleaned my wounds, applied clean bandages and prescribed antibiotics. I shall call my surgeon’s office again today to register for his day clinic tomorrow. Drainage may be necessary.

I had a rough time half way through the first 24 hours of taking the antibiotics. I added Tylenol 3 (with Codeine) and gradually the pain decreased. My main discomfort now is in my abdomen/bowel area…which I believe is a side effect of the medication. I am also taking Lactobacillus Acidophilus as recommended by the walk-in clinic doctor.

I have registered for the forum and hope to be of help to others.

Thank you once again.  I hope you are enjoying retirement. J  May God bless you.

When I was in practice, I had a different philosophy. I preferred to treat possible infections as an emergency and saw the patient immediately. Early drainage removes pressure, decreases discomfort, and can keep tissue alive. This is not something I liked having done by someone else. My knowledge of what I had done, limitations of the tissue, were the best chance to minimize complications.

Infection is a risk and potential complication of any surgery. Prevention is the best way of not needing to have to deal with such problems. As my practice evolved to seeing patients from around the world for elective surgery, I lowered my patients' risks by rescheduling surgery when there were infections or other issues going on elsewhere. Combined with this methodology, my surgical techniques, skill, and luck, thankfully such problems were extremely rare for my elective cases.

Good luck on your recovery and welcome to the forum. Why not post standard Breast Reduction Pictures to document what is going on now?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates