Author Topic: Tummy Tuck Forum: Payment Options & Loans for Tummy Tuck Pennsylvania.  (Read 6045 times)

Offline JC2011

• View Profile
Question Please help!

Okay, I am a 22 year old female living in Philadelphia ,Pa. This is my problem. I am 220-230 lbs as of right now I used to be close to 300lbs but with in a year (1 year and 2-3 months ) I fell to 220lbs and the lowest I got to was 215lbs . since I lost all that weight so "fast" like my doctor said I have alot of fat skin and I have a pooch I as I got smaller It got bigger and it became harder and harder for me to exercise. So I decide to go to a plastic surgeon to get a tummy tuck. he said its going to cost $8,320.00 . OKAY! I was very happy I didn't think that was too much money but sadly it is for me. I want to ask if anyone can steer me in the right direction on how to get loans for it? what are good doctors ? Please Advice?

Jay<3
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 11:52:10 AM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Tummy Tuck Forum: Payment Options & Loans for Tummy Tuck Pennsylvania.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
 Re: Question Please help!

Okay, I am a 22 year old female living in Philadelphia ,Pa. This is my problem. I am 220-230 lbs as of right now I used to be close to 300lbs but with in a year (1 year and 2-3 months ) I fell to 220lbs and the lowest I got to was 215lbs . since I lost all that weight so "fast" like my doctor said I have alot of fat skin and I have a pooch I as I got smaller It got bigger and it became harder and harder for me to exercise. So I decide to go to a plastic surgeon to get a tummy tuck. he said its going to cost $8,320.00 . OKAY! I was very happy I didn't think that was too much money but sadly it is for me. I want to ask if anyone can steer me in the right direction on how to get loans for it? what are good doctors ? Please Advice?

Jay<3

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Does it not feel much better with that weight off?  70 pounds is quite an achievement.

Cost of Tummy Tuck can vary depending on the problem, surgeon, and where it is done. Financing options are a tricky question as there are issues not obvious. Some surgeons are willing to pay a percentage of their fees with some loan companies. I was never comfortable nor participated with such arrangements considering them fee splitting or kick back. According to ethics issues they should not be permitted. However, the practice is widespread. But does that make it right? Beyond that rates for loans should be low with the Fed's policy. But that does not mean surgical loans will be low. It does not make sense to me, but that is something I never managed in my practice. I left such issues to my office staff.

If a surgeon did not discuss issues of remaining weight during the consultation, be careful. Have you checked your BMI / Body Mass Index?  You did not mention your height. For those who have fat that is still a component of the contour, then when I was still practicing my sculpture, I would advise my patients that surgery is not the correct first step. If there is more weight to lose and someone is a work in progress, weight loss after surgery will most likely end up with more loose skin. For someone thinking that skin would not be a factor after surgery, then consider the issue why not continue to lose the weight first and see where the skin will end up?  Usually the skin will remain stretched out and loose After  Weight Loss. It is a factor of the matrix holding the tissue being broken.

Getting to a weight / body fat before considering surgery is important.  Weight loss is a coarse tool.  You cannot pick where the fat comes from or goes back onto.  Surgery is better reserved as a refinement tool. If planning to lose weight after surgery, what makes you think that the skin will shrink?  If it is going to shrink, it is better to get to a weight you are happy with before surgery.  Then surgery can refine what does not happen naturally.

After weight loss, the skin can take some time to adjust further.  Depending on many factors, this further adjustment can take 6 to 18 months.  Being patient can help, but does stress the mind for some.  Body Contouring Clothing after Weight Loss can act as an emotional bandaid, stabilizing loose tissues.  I have seen some amazing expressions on patients' faces when putting on a compression garment for the first time.  With time the problem can evolve for some. 

Welcome to our forum. There is a section here for Weight Loss Discussion issues. You can find others' comments about similar issues.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline JC2011

• View Profile
Re: Tummy Tuck Forum: Payment Options & Loans for Tummy Tuck Pennsylvania.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »
Thank you so much for your information and my height is 5'3-5'4 again 220-230lbs

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Tummy Tuck Forum: Payment Options & Loans for Tummy Tuck Pennsylvania.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
Thank you so much for your information and my height is 5'3-5'4 again 220-230lbs

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Check out the critical information on the BMI / Body Mass Index resource. Learn about risks of elective surgery for those who are morbidly obese (or close to that). When I was practicing, I did not offer elective surgery for such high risk patients because of the dangers of the surgery were beyond what I felt were acceptable. Encouraging weight loss was what I did stress as a better first option. However, each surgeon has their own methods and thoughts on risks, benefits, and alternate methods of care.

Good luck on your education into this matter.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates