Author Topic: Nasal Obstruction Forum - Nasal Irrigation How to Make It Less Unpleasant  (Read 11103 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Nasal irrigation techniques and systems vary. I have used various over my career for individuals with sensitivities to the environment to lessen their reactions / discomfort in day to day life. I am opening up this thread for a discussion about techniques for the use of nasal irrigation and how to make it less of an issue during use.

Pump systems offer the advantage of being able to position the head with less dependency of a pouring method. Warm water, added salts, and other tricks certainly help. There are various options on the market.

Search Amazon's Sinus Rinse

Search Amazon for Nasal Irrigation

Search Amazon's Best Sellers in Best Sellers in Sinus Medicine

Personal experiences can help others with this process. The experience is technique dependent. Instructions on a box are often not enough.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Rhinoplasty, Septoplasty, and Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Moscow

• View Profile
Re: Nasal Obstruction Forum - Nasal Irrigation How to Make It Less Unpleasant
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
I definitely understand the difficulties when first trying nasal irrigation.  Personally, the first two to three times I irrigated my nose wasn't the easiest of things to do. Not to mention, I have a deviated septum and at first a little solution will flow down the back of my throat, then as more solution is pumped flows out my other nostril.

I personally don't like the neti pot. I understand people love it, I just never found much use.

Then, I tried one of the squeeze irrigators, and I thought it was just to much force and when you squeezed the bottle, it would become crushed. Not to mention, if I squeezed to hard, the solution flowed way to fast.

I finally found NasalCare (whom I actually work for now) and I must say is the best squeeze (I would say pump irrigation unit on the market). First, it has two valves (liquid/air) working in tandem to prevent backwash. The air valve prevents negative pressure so that the solution is allowed to flow continually and the irrigator doesnt crush. The liqued valve gives me the piece of mind that the solution does not flow back into the irrigator. Because of these valves, I can continue to pump the bottle until I feel my nose is clean or solution runs out...

I also like the solution because of the aloe vera that helps to moisturize my nose. I noticed if I used regular saline to often when I was sick, my nose would dry up. So far, I haven't noticed this with the NasalCare solution.

Offline Moscow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »
I would also like to add, my father who is a retired dentist (V.A.) was afraid that he would feel as if he was drowning and refused to use for the last two years. A month ago he was sick and finally tried NasalCare. he couldn't believe how his congestion was gone and used it 3 times a day until he had no more congestion. He now tells everyone about irrigation.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »
I definitely understand the difficulties when first trying nasal irrigation.  Personally, the first two to three times I irrigated my nose wasn't the easiest of things to do. Not to mention, I have a deviated septum and at first a little solution will flow down the back of my throat, then as more solution is pumped flows out my other nostril.

I personally don't like the neti pot. I understand people love it, I just never found much use.

Then, I tried one of the squeeze irrigators, and I thought it was just to much force and when you squeezed the bottle, it would become crushed. Not to mention, if I squeezed to hard, the solution flowed way to fast.

I finally found NasalCare (whom I actually work for now) and I must say is the best squeeze (I would say pump irrigation unit on the market). First, it has two valves (liquid/air) working in tandem to prevent backwash. The air valve prevents negative pressure so that the solution is allowed to flow continually and the irrigator doesnt crush. The liqued valve gives me the piece of mind that the solution does not flow back into the irrigator. Because of these valves, I can continue to pump the bottle until I feel my nose is clean or solution runs out...

I also like the solution because of the aloe vera that helps to moisturize my nose. I noticed if I used regular saline to often when I was sick, my nose would dry up. So far, I haven't noticed this with the NasalCare solution.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum and thank your for your contribution. Here are links to the Amazon store for those products:

Nasalcare Nasal Rinse Starter Kit

NasalCare Mix Packets, 30 count (Pack of 2)

Nasalcare Kids Starter Kit

I am always concerned about additives in products when dealing with patients in the past. Those with environmental sensitivities react to so many different things that having all ingredients listed is a plus.

What is the difference with the "Kids" irrigation set and rinse pack? Why is the NasalCare Nasal Rinse Mix Packets for Kids not directly available from Amazon?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Moscow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 01:50:36 PM »
I am always concerned about additives in products when dealing with patients in the past. Those with environmental sensitivities react to so many different things that having all ingredients listed is a plus.

What is the difference with the "Kids" irrigation set and rinse pack? Why is the NasalCare Nasal Rinse Mix Packets for Kids not directly available from Amazon?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About newbielink:http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/rhinoplasty_map.html [nonactive]

NasalCare has NO additives. The solution ingredients are what they say on the box: Sea salt, aloe vera extract, sodium citrate, citric acid & sodium bicarbonate.

As for the kids kit. The only difference is the size of the irrigator. The kids irrigator is 6oz as opposed to the adult irrigator 8oz. The kids solution packets make 6oz of solution and adult packets make 8oz of solution.

Why our kids solution is not directly available through Amazon? That's a good question. They used to offer 60 packets similar to adults, but I don't see on there. Which is strange because they ordered kids refills recently. I will check asap.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:57:59 PM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

NasalCare has NO additives. The solution ingredients are what they say on the box: Sea salt, aloe vera extract, sodium citrate, citric acid & sodium bicarbonate.

As for the kids kit. The only difference is the size of the irrigator. The kids irrigator is 6oz as opposed to the adult irrigator 8oz. The kids solution packets make 6oz of solution and adult packets make 8oz of solution.

Why our kids solution is not directly available through Amazon? That's a good question. They used to offer 60 packets similar to adults, but I don't see on there. Which is strange because they ordered kids refills recently. I will check asap.

I fixed your syntax in your post so the top was a quote.

Thank you for the further detail.

I found a Nasal Care Video which was alarming. To begin with, the commercial they forced on me was for draino snake, just the right topic to consider those with nasal irritated passages needing cleaning, how sad. During the video, the mention of the citrate was demonstrated with a slice of fruit looking like an orange, a concern with those with allergies to oranges or other fruits. If the citrate is for flavor or odor, not a great idea for those sensitive to those elements.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline Moscow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »

I found a newbielink:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfo5ru_nasalcare-nasal-irrigation-demo_lifestyle [nonactive] which was alarming. To begin with, the commercial they forced on me was for draino snake, just the right topic to consider those with nasal irritated passages needing cleaning, how sad. During the video, the mention of the citrate was demonstrated with a slice of fruit looking like an orange, a concern with those with allergies to oranges or other fruits. If the citrate is for flavor or odor, not a great idea for those sensitive to those elements.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About newbielink:http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/procedure_folder/rhinoplasty_map.html [nonactive]

Dr. Bermant,

Thank you for your concern with the commercial of the snake, but we have no say in the commercial at the start of the video on the Daily Motion website (I got a Moto Droid commercial). As for your concern for sodium citrate, maybe the use of an orange isn't the best picture, but Dr. Wayne Zuo, Phd (Biology)( newbielink:mailto:waynezuo@techworldcorp.com [nonactive]) assures me that the pure citric acid found in NasalCare solution in in every persons cells. When sugar is broken down one of the intermediate chemicals is citric acid and it continues to break down and release energy. It eventually becomes water then carbon dioxide.

I hope this helps answer your concerns. If you need further assistance, you can either email Dr. Wayne or I can have him join discussion. We will definitely take you comments into account on future videos.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:28:13 PM by DrBermant »

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 12:09:16 AM »

Quoting a Post

To reply to a post by quoting it, you can either select the Quote button for the relevant post or select the Reply button followed by Insert Quote from the relevant post in the Topic Summary below, but note that:

Both of these options add a link to the original post showing the name of the poster and the date and time of the post, whereas the Bulletin Board Code quote tag simply quotes the relevant post without this additional information.
    You can retain or add the 'author' attribute independently of the full quote function.

My first quote from this post was using the quote button right at the top of the post before entering the editing screen. The second quote was done by highlighting the text I pasted and then using the button on the editing screen (little button looks like a balloon).

I found a Nasal Care Video which was alarming. To begin with, the commercial they forced on me was for draino snake, just the right topic to consider those with nasal irritated passages needing cleaning, how sad. During the video, the mention of the citrate was demonstrated with a slice of fruit looking like an orange, a concern with those with allergies to oranges or other fruits. If the citrate is for flavor or odor, not a great idea for those sensitive to those elements.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Dr. Bermant,

Thank you for your concern with the commercial of the snake, but we have no say in the commercial at the start of the video on the Daily Motion website (I got a Moto Droid commercial). As for your concern for sodium citrate, maybe the use of an orange isn't the best picture, but Dr. Wayne Zuo, Phd (Biology)(waynezuo@techworldcorp.com) assures me that the pure citric acid found in NasalCare solution in in every persons cells. When sugar is broken down one of the intermediate chemicals is citric acid and it continues to break down and release energy. It eventually becomes water then carbon dioxide.

I hope this helps answer your concerns. If you need further assistance, you can either email Dr. Wayne or I can have him join discussion. We will definitely take you comments into account on future videos.

Thank you for the further information. Of course we cannot control what ad they put on a commercial. Have not explored that aspect yet. From what I understand some ad systems permit exclusion of certain types advertisements, but I have not learned what or how, or who.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 01:29:04 AM »

How real of a risk is this event:

'Brain-Eating' Amoeba Kills Second Neti Pot User and what are your standard practices?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything