Author Topic: Breast Augmentation Forum - What About Fat Grafting  (Read 3374 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Breast Augmentation Forum - What About Fat Grafting
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »
Know anything about fat grafting for the breast?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I stopped offering augmentation many years ago not happy about what I was seeing for how breasts moved after such surgery. It is a question of good documentation which evolved into my

Standard Pictures for Breast Reduction and Standard Pictures for Breast Lift Surgery which included bending over views that I used for my male patients on my web site but not for the female patients. More critical are the Standard Videos for Breast Reduction that just did not look natural when living life, lifting arms up overhead, playing sports, and other activities.

The other issue is how the breasts feel. Fat grafts tend to not remain like fat. They partially die, become firm. In a woman's breast this may resemble firmer gland, but in a male chest this is a disaster as that firm structure is like the gynecomastia they are trying to get rid of which I discuss here Revision Gynecomastia Surgery Forum - Fillers Fat Graft Implant or Flap to Fix?. On that post I include a picture of brown firm mess of a fat graft I removed from another surgeon's attempt to fix a defect on a male patient.

I find it interesting to have yet to see such motion documentation for either breast implants or grafting. I do not know how to document how the tissues feel to demonstrate to others. Retired, I will no longer be investigating the options. It would be nice for someone to point to proof that such techniques work well in more than limited static pictures typically a small subset of my standard views.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Breast Augmentation Forum - What About Fat Grafting
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
WOW! I will, thanks, just dealing with a hole not closing up first! This side was radiated.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Breast radiation worsens local blood supply. Any doctor offering fat grafting should be discussing risks of putting fat grafts into a poor blood supply region. Better yet demonstrate before and after pictures of it working. If they have them, they are welcome to share such documentation here for others to learn of what can be done.

Look carefully before having something done is reasonable advice to learn about risks, benefits, and alternate methods of care.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Breast Reduction in Women
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything