Author Topic: Otoplasty Forum - Infection 20 Years After Surgery When to Treat?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hello Dr. Bermant,
My name is - and I'm a 33y.o. single mom RN student in Palm Desert, Ca. I had otoplasty 20yrs ago in Napa, Ca by Dr. -. I can remember during my recovery I pulled out a stitch and went back to office but they said it was fine. That ear was always not symetrical to the other ear but not very noticable. Fast fwd years later and in my late twenties I really started noticing the difference. About 4 yrs ago a stich can out of my skin on the front of my ear and eventually it fell out. Since then I have always had a sore that comes and goes in the area. I had ins and my pcp said he wouldnt touch my ear for fear of cauliflower ear and sent me to a derm. They did a wide array of tests at pcp and derm which were all neg. At the derm they did a skin cancer test which was neg. They did a wd culture that did show however that I had a past and present infection. My s/s are that I have a sore (where stitch fell out long ago) that heals and then comes back. Its an eyesore (no pun intended) and b/c Im in RN school I have to wear my hear up and am very self concious of it. I dont have the money right now to go to a plastic surgeon, but I dont even know what they can do! I mean they could explore, (b/c all I can think is there is some residual or something in there that keeps this problem from occuring). However, I don't know if this is possible b/c it could maybe deform my ear even more so. When I am done w/school I will be willing to pay for a redo otoplasty/correction of my ear, but until then I am so depressed. Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
Sincerely,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Infections are one of the more serious possible Otoplasty Complications. This can be something at the time of surgery or something that happens later. A cartilage infection can be a disaster and sometimes difficult to treat. Prevention was the best method by minimizing risks. Once an infection is present, treatment is often best locally where the patient can be seen as often as needed. Actual treatment options vary depending on the actual problem. The issue is what will happen to an ear infection of the cartilage left untreated or sub-optimally treated? Those are risks best discussed with someone who has been able to evaluate the problem and provide risks, benefits, and alternate methods of care.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates