Author Topic: Plastic Surgery Forum - Ethics of Operating on Teenagers and Adolescents  (Read 3223 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I just ran across an article The Ethics of Aesthetic Surgery where I was quoted about

Is it ethical not to operate on an adolescent patient?

This was from an article I was invited to write for the AMA's Virtual Mentor on Ethics of Cosmetic Plastic Surgery in Adolescents

Actually there are many issues to consider which I outline here on my section about Cosmetic Surgery in Teens. There are links on that page to many examples to demonstrate the concept. These examples are so much more powerful than just reading plain words. The emotion I have seen over my career were life changing events for so many young patients being tortured by society for their deformities. When surgery was not indicated because of an unstable problem or weight issues, I evolved the concept of Body Shaping Garment to contour without surgery.  I had actual demonstration of different body types and what the changes looked like around the body and how the tissues moved.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything