Author Topic: Weight Loss Forum - Warning About Unproven Treatment Claims or Scams  (Read 4703 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Take a little look at how our weight loss plan works. It could reshape your body. A new you, imagine that! (and the storefront link)

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I have no idea how many hundreds of thousands of sites I have looked at. Yet none to date has shown adequate proof that their methods work. Most do not even show examples. When I see some, there are usually few in number, with inadequate photographic documentation. When there are photos, they have unethical methods that use lighting, framing, positioning of individual, and other such issues that make that "proof" questionable at best, fraud at the worst.

My suggestions would be to use something like my Standard Pictures for Tummy Tuck to demonstrate the contour from multiple directions and loose skin issues. The views are great for documenting progress during a weight loss program or for proof that a product works!

For those interested in documenting their own progress, consider adding how tissues move such as my Tummy Tuck Movies and Video but add the emotional component of issues associated with the weight loss, dieting, clothing, and activities as you can see I did for my own patients.

The weight,  BMI (Body Mass Index), and Body Fat Analysis should be recorded to support what the facts are for that particular image documentation period. This progress should be recorded, paper is fine. However, putting it on a spreadsheet that can give you a graphic for the progress to date can be a great tool to see progress or a stimulation about stagnation or relapse.

But back on point. These are issues for an individual trying to lose weight. Optional, but rewarding. For someone claiming their method works, it should be mandatory. When I looked at the site for the claimed "weight loss product" I see how to order if in the US, England, Canada, Ireland, Australia etc. but not one before and after picture! How pathetic. Hand waving verbal claims with nothing to prove it works. Now if someone set up a program that demonstrated like I mention above, and showed many examples with different body types and lifestyles, then I might start reconsidering such "claims."  But all I can think of now is SCAM, FRAUD, beware until proven!

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Weight Loss Forum - Warning About Unproven Treatment Claims or Scams
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

DrBermant if this isn't enough then oh well :)

This is exactly what I was talking about. Well intentioned attempt to show a point that misses because they did not take the time to document the process adequately. Yes, I see that there is a change on some of the images, but others are questionable as to just how much if any.

As a starting point, let us look at my Standard Tummy Tuck Pictures, look at the specific instructions for lighting, poses, framing and other details. When clothing covers the contour, you are missing much. That is why showing more skin is a better documentation of problem and solution.

First image from page.

The before picture has lighting from above that emphasizes contour problems, the after has indoor diffuse lighting that hides such shadows. Yes, I can see a change, but the different lighting has ruined a fair comparison. Dishonest people can use such contour highlighting to falsify improvement. Both should be diffuse or highlighted. If they did it the other way, the effect would be less exaggerated. Beyond that different clothing, different poses, different framing. Poor documentation but a loss has occurred.

second example

The different framing, clothing, lighting ruins the example. I cannot verify if any change has occurred.

third example

is the best on that page for technique. However, the different framing exaggerates the results. Match before after images for same framing, there is a change, just not as much as that framing implies. If you want I can do that picture manipulation to demonstrate. The different lighting technique also exaggerates the loss. That I cannot not demonstrate on a photo already taken.

forth example

Sorry, if there has been a change, it was lost on the picture taking technique. Hunched over, that pose, and using a mirror all ruin the photo for true demonstration of change. My guess is that with 13 pound weight loss, more precise documentation methods would prove contour changes. That one image just does not do it.

On other examples they lost the opportunity to show what they achieved. Before sitting and after standing just is not an appropriate comparison for proof. Sitting the fat is pushed out and for Pannus sufferers, lays on their lap. That is why before after should be in same position.

Too bad I could not have the images here in the forum to better discuss them. Why not join to post them yourself so there can be a better learning experience? I started out using links to the images themselves, but some have the individual's names in the links. It was a much better discussion with the actual images to talk about.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates