Author Topic: Is draining required after surgery  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Gyne28

• View Profile
Is draining required after surgery
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
Hi,

Is draining required after the gynecomastia surgery? Can't patent walk away just after the surgery?

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Gynecomastia Forum - Re: Is draining required after surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 04:52:28 AM »
Hi,

Is draining required after the gynecomastia surgery? Can't patent walk away just after the surgery?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Drains after Gynecomastia Surgery are sometimes necessary with any surgery. I preferred techniques that minimized the need for drains, yet every patient was cautioned that drains may be needed. At issue here was my preference for methods to increase my patients' Comfort After Gynecomastia Surgery. When drains are needed, it just is not as comfortable as when they are not. This includes both the wearing of the drain and removal. The drain increases risk of infection. All my patients with drains needed to be on additional antibiotics until the drain came out. That drain in place also made an issue for additional scars. The drain usually had to come out from an additional incision. The presence of the drain can also be a factor for scarring.

Yet using methods to minimize the need for drains takes extra effort, skill, and meticulous technique. Some surgeons just do not have it, don't care, or whatever. Each drain I used in my Dynamic Technique Gynecomastia Surgery was considered a failure and investigated as to why so that we could try to prevent the next drain when possible. We were so successful that we needed drains once or a few times a year. Each case was traced to a patient failure to follow instructions, an unknown bleeding / bruising issue, or strange event.

We had one patient develop a migraine headache in the recovery room. He had not given us that information on his medication used forms, did not have that medication on him in our surgery center (it was in his hotel room). If he had indicated that on his history form we would not have started the surgery without it. We rarely have nausea with our advanced Plastic Surgery Anesthesia Techniques. His nausea until his friend brought his medication, caused a hematoma. This is the risk of blindsiding a surgeon's team methodology for prevention.

However, "walk away after surgery" is just not safe. We saw our patients the day or 2 after surgery for evaluation. More complex cases we asked to see them again for their Gynecomastia Dressing removal. Again, it is about setting up the safest system for patient protection.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything