Author Topic: Ear Reconstruction Forum - i have 1/2 ear can you repair?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Ear Reconstruction Forum - i have 1/2 ear can you repair?
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:16:33 PM »
i have 1/2 ear can you repair.think you

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Sorry with retirement, I no longer offer surgery nor specific medical advice.

Yes, I used to reconstruct ears with missing tissue from trauma, cancer or congenital defects.

Such repairs would be the art of compromise. With 50 percent of the ear gone, using available ear tissue alone rarely looks good. Remote tissue options can be difficult and techniques were still not up to human use for delicate ear shape. Ears made from rib and flap tissue covering tend to please patients but look abnormal. That is why you cannot find much in the line of actual pictures of the final product.

My science fiction fantasy from way back in medical school was to grow an exact match from the other ear or carved sculpture using the patients own tissues with skin, nerves and blood vessels all designed outside the body and then use microsurgery to attach the structure. There have been several examples of lesser methods used in rats, but I have yet to see one for a human. My guess is that the cost of the bioengineering would be excessive for a long time to come.

Prosthetic Devices are an option, but can fall off at the worst times.

Many use hair or clothing Hide their Ears. This has its limitations with water and wind and fear of being exposed as with the prosthetic.

To evaluate a surgeon's claim for their method of ear reconstruction, look for something like my Standard Ear Pictures, but instead of the before and after ear reconstruction This is important to have a realistic expectation of just what someone is getting into. You really need to see the problem and solution from many different angles if not seeing the individual in person.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates