Author Topic: Belly Button Forum - My girlfriend lost her belly button from a tummy tuck.  (Read 5073 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
My girlfriend lost her belly button from a tummy tuck. No belly rings for her! What do you suggest? @DrBermant

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Although all of my patients were cautioned about belly button loss being one of the possible Tummy Tuck Risks and Complications, it never happened to one of my own Tummy Tucks. There was one exception: a compromise case that I told the patient I could not perform the surgery without sacrificing the belly button. Her pannus was just too large to attempt a belly button reconstruction, not safe or worth the risk. That is a different situation. I saw many patients unhappy after surgery done elsewhere with missing to destroyed bellybutton. I also saw a number of other problems where belly buttons were lost.

A missing belly button just does not look good. Many fashions and clothing styles leave belly buttons tend to be exposed. The loss can be devastating.

Making a New Belly Button can be quite a challenge. This is difficult surgery to look good, especially on animation and how tissues move. This is difficult surgery to make a scar in an adult look like a naturally healed scar of childbirth. There are limitations in what can be done. This is an art form.

After multiple operations, the navel can be destroyed requiring constructing a new one. Revision Belly Button Surgery can be difficult. Not all surgeons have the same skills.

You both are welcome to join our discussion group to discuss the emotions involved and the process of learning about options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Umbilicoplasty Belly Button Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates