Author Topic: Plastic Surgery Forum - Posting Photographs Photos Images on SMF Simple Machine  (Read 15877 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
i tried to attach the pictures several times, but they kept saying too large and i don't know how to make them any smaller.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I guess I will need to write a page about image posting Photographs, Photos, Pictures, and Images beyond what I have already answered in posts and gave you links for. The easiest is inserting a link to an image you already have up on the internet as discussed on those posts. There are several sites that permit you to post pictures. The question is protecting you identity and if the images will adhere to their standards if breasts or groin are exposed.

and are inserted with
pasting the URLs
selecting the URL
Clicking on first image middle row Insert Image which will surround the image with the image tags. You can see this code by selecting the Quote Button on the top right of the message window. 

Almost all image editing software has an option, save for web. These small images do not look good when printing, but they are what you need to put things up on a forum. Typical image size needed depends on what you are trying to show and can vary from 200 to 400 pixels in height to look right. There is also a resize option, but that is more advanced, you first need to get images up there if using our attachment feature. Here are two example programs to see how they do it.

iPhoto
Use Export from top row in the File Menu.
Choose File Export and set:
      Kind: JPEG
      JPEG Quality: Medium
      Size: Custom and set Max height to 200 to 400 pixels depending on what you are trying to show.
      File Name: Use File Name. You may need to edit the name before posting to preserve privacy.

Photoshop much more complex
Use Save for Web and Devices from top row File Menu.
     Use Optimized Tab
     Preset: JPEG Medium
     Check Convert to sRGB
     Image Size: Height to 200 to 400 depending on what you are posting

The process is similar, you are looking for something under the Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 192KB, maximum individual size 128KB. It also is nice to keep the image size not to overwhelm the screen so that side by side images look good.

The images in this window are 200 pixels high, too small to see the items. The attached images are 400 pixels high after they have been clicked on to enlarge. The third image expands to 400 pixels high but is too wide for the screen and forces you to scroll the image in the window to see the entire image.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:17:27 AM by DrBermant »
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Here is another post on Posting Images from ImageShack Instructions

Posting Images in Forum from ImageShack

I just found that posting images from ImageShack can look good when selecting their thumbnail view for forum.

I used the Embed thumbnails of this image, and selected Forum the first option code. I pasted that code on the post and that alone worked.

In this forum, you will need to have contributed at least 5 posts before a link can be used.

Other options may work, but full images flow beyond the borders of the forum and look not as good.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Here is another discussion about Posting Images On Our Forum Using Links

Hey Dr. Bermant, can you explain to me how to properly post a picture? I tried going to click the image button and then copy and paste the image in between the image text. I also tried the help and search tools but have unsuccessfully not been able to post a picture.

This forum is set up to minimize the spam advertisers plaguing the internet yet reward those who contribute to the public education. Unless you have 5 posts, linking is not permitted unless it is to another post on this site. After this minimum number of posts, links are permitted to other web sites but they are disabled to not actually work unless you copy the code and paste it in a browser. After the next level there are real links but labeled by for the search engines as not yet reliable content to search engine optimize. Once you have achieved the highest level of participation here, the links are without limits.

For those wanting to post images I can manually enable their profiles to bypass that restriction as I just did for yours. Now you should be able to take a valid URL of an image that shows up in a browser such as:

http://www.abodybeautiful.com/forum/images/california_gynecomastia_64_5.jpg

Select that entire line, then go to the far left button in the second row (rollover will say Insert Image), select that and you get:

an image right in line. A link to your post works, when you have the right to do so since it is on this site:

http://www.abodybeautiful.com/forum/index.php/topic,367.msg445.html

I like making my links easier to read and use the following code:

Experiences with Dr. Bermant.

Other buttons and tools for posting help can be found here:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Basic_bulletin_board_codes

but that is getting complex now. The second button is supposed to be the URL button, but it does not work for me. Instead of trying to figure it out, I just manually paste my template form into my post and go from there.

There is another way to get images attached. At the bottom of the typing window for making a post is Attachments and other options. This will permit you to put a file up from your computer to the forum with restrictions. There is a max of 4 such attachments per post. The images show up small, but you can click on them to see them at a larger size.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Links can also be used to show videos. Movies need to be on pages to mange the large variation of types requried by different devices. The videos can be on web pages such as:

Link to Web page embedded in code:

Gynecomastia Surgery Video

Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/gynecomastia/gynecomastia_surgery_video.htm][u][b]Text[/b][/u][/url]
Raw Link

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/gynecomastia/gynecomastia_surgery_video.htm

Link that has been included in the "Insert Hyperlink" tag, third from left second row.

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/gynecomastia/gynecomastia_surgery_video.htm

You can also upload your videos on services such as YouTube, Facebook, Google and such. Here is my Dr. Bermant Plastic Surgery YouTube Videos that I have uploaded there to evaluate having movies there vs hosted on my web site itself.

YouTube Options
Click on the Share Button below the video.

Link to Web page embedded in code:

Healing After Tummy Tuck Video Showing Minimal Bruising and Swelling

Raw Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6UfT5yoLN4

SMF does not support the iframe tag. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Here is another tutorial on posting images on this forum:

http://smftutorials.com/drupal/how-to-include-images-in-fourm-posts-tutorial

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
The best option is having some help taking the pictures. However, some find this difficult to ask another for this help.

Other options include using tripod to hold the camera. I just tried using an iPhone, and the new Apple 4s lens does not distort the ear and makes a nice usable series of images. There are a number of phone adapters for tripods, I was trying this iStabilizer Flex Smartphone Flexible Leg Tripod I found on Amazon:

There are apps that permit use of the computer or other device like iphone, ipad to act as remote controls that see the image of the camera on the tripod. I was experimenting with:

Remote Shutter and that worked fine. There are also remote camera triggers that link the computer with camera such as

DSLR Remote

that work if you have the right camera and a computer.

Timers alone are not enough because of framing issues. Mirrors give issues with flipped images and glare from lighting. Holding the camera means arms cannot be in a neutral position for body contours, critical for chest and breast shots.

I hope to make a page demonstrating taking such images solo with the new technology now available. If others have a system that has worked for them, consider sharing it.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile

Here are some additional resources I found on How To Include Images In Forum Posts Tutorial

[Guide] How to add/upload an image to a post.. I hope to add their work into an all encompassing resource some day. 

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Explore our Plastic Surgery Forum
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates