Author Topic: Gynecomastia and Weight - How Long Do I Need To Wait After Weight Loss?  (Read 4798 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Dr. Bermant,

My name is -. I live here in Virginia. I have suffered from Gynecomastia since I was a kid. I am in my upper 20's of age. I am morbidly obese. I weigh 360 pounds. My first objective is to lose weight. I am 5'10" with a goal weight of about 175lbs, afterwhich I plan to have gyno surgery. It's a big undertaking to get to that point and it will require lifestyle changes. I understand that the first thing to do is get healthier and lose weight no matter what. My question is, after I lose this weight is it advisable to wait a certain amount of time before having surgery? Or is it something that could be done fairly soon thereafter? Also, is there a target weight/BMI range in which I could be considered for surgery? Or would it probably be best to first reach my target weight?

Thank you for your time and I hope you're enjoying retirement,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

That is a great goal. Addressing morbid obesity has changed so many patients I have seen over the years. This can be a long frustrating process. There are several posts here about this topic.

Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Forum - 100 pounds weight loss loose skin chest

Gynecomastia & Weight Forum - Frustrated With Weight Loss Breasts Not Going Away

Weight Loss Forum - Lost 40kg, want to lose 20-30 more - Lots of Loose Skin

The main issues is that Weight loss and surgical sculpture is a series of compromises. What suites any one individual will vary.  Ideal sequence that I used to recommend for my patients:

• Get to a weight you are comfortable living with.
  • Let the skin adjust as much as it will. It can take from 6 to 18 months for skin equilibration after a gastric bypass and major weight loss.
  • After Massive Weight Loss, Consider Tightening Lower Tissues First. There is little sense to lift the chest and then have a tummy tuck, lower the chest result, requiring a revision chest lift.
  • Then Address the Chest.
  • Use No Surgery Body Shaping Garments as emotional support not to rush the process.

The loose skin problem can be as bad or worse than remaining gland. Jumping into surgery can lead to disaster and even greater expenses trying to fix problems. There is no one "ideal" weight or target BMI. It is a matter of what feels best and then waiting for tissues to stabilize. After gastric bypass surgery it can take 6 to 18 months for the skin to stabilize.

Using my Standard Pictures for Male Chest and Loose Skin and Standard Body Lift Pictures along with Body Fat Percentage Monitoring are tricks I have talked to patients about in the past. This forum give individuals a great place to post their progress standard pictures to document their progress. There are no special methods to document when loose skin has stopped shrinking. I have some ideas, but that is for another post someday.

You are welcome to join us, document your progress, and use the forum tools. This was set up as a mutual support forum and a place to find others with similar concerns and experiences.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia of Male Chest Ptosis - Sagging and Male Mastopexy Chest Lift Sculpture
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything