//pvii begin //pvii end

Author Topic: Liposuction Forum - What is Coolsculpting Lipo?  (Read 7324 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Liposuction Forum - What is Coolsculpting Lipo?
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:41:50 AM »
What is coolsculpting lipo?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Liposuction is a primary sculpting tool of Plastic Surgery. There are many tools that can be used for Liposuction, both the actual machine, cannula, and methodology. For the consumer, much of this is wrapped in unsubstantiated hype. To evaluate any anatomic part and the effect of a surgical sculpture, you need a repeatable methodology showing the problem and result from multiple angles and, if appropriate, how the tissues move. That is why I evolved my Standard Pictures for Liposuction Stomach. This is just one of many variations you will find on my site with more specific versions for the liposuction dependent procedures for Gynecomastia and Tummy Tuck. The next step is to understand just what path a patient must take from the before to the after surgery result. Documenting bruising and recovery with these standard pictures or even better videos is the best way to get beyond hype and to the proof needed for any claim of superiority of method. If something is better, there should be less bruising, swelling, discomfort, and a faster recovery. Here is one such gallery of Picture Gallery of Bruising Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery. Each image leads to much more complete documentation for each patient. Now that is what I call documentation of what my technique delivered.

The Coolsculpting Lipo is probably the CoolLipo by CoolTouch another laser fat blasting system that I have never seen adequate proof of such recovery nor sculpting abilities by either adequate standard pictures or videos and certainly not how the tissues move nor the recovery path a patient needs to take. For instance today's visit brought me you go to their "before and after surgery pictures and all I got was:

a broken link.

The problem I have with such systems has been addressed in other posts here: Liposuction Forum - Scar From Technique Can Be As Disfiguring As Gland of Gyno. The scar of a technique can be more disfiguring than what it was designed to fix. That is why getting beyond the hype of method of surgery is so critical. You want to see the before and after contour from many angles, how the tissues move (scars do not move as well), and the bruising swelling produced.

Personally I avoided the hype and preferred methods that minimized remaining destroyed fat cell debris. I saw many patients disfigured by other surgeons using various types of Laser or Ultrasound machines. Of course this is a partial view, why would someone happy from another method come to my office. But the proof in documentation as I outlined above has always been lacking when I have looked in the past. Perhaps with a forum like this we will be able to stimulate better proof than just a broken link.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Liposuction Body Contouring
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
Re: Liposuction Forum - What is Coolsculpting Lipo?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:15:40 AM »
What is coolsculpting lipo?

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Liposuction is a primary sculpting tool of Plastic Surgery. There are many tools that can be used for Liposuction, both the actual machine, cannula, and methodology. For the consumer, much of this is wrapped in unsubstantiated hype. To evaluate any anatomic part and the effect of a surgical sculpture, you need a repeatable methodology showing the problem and result from multiple angles and, if appropriate, how the tissues move. That is why I evolved my Standard Pictures for Liposuction Stomach. This is just one of many variations you will find on my site with more specific versions for the liposuction dependent procedures for Gynecomastia and Tummy Tuck. The next step is to understand just what path a patient must take from the before to the after surgery result. Documenting bruising and recovery with these standard pictures or even better videos is the best way to get beyond hype and to the proof needed for any claim of superiority of method. If something is better, there should be less bruising, swelling, discomfort, and a faster recovery. Here is one such gallery of Picture Gallery of Bruising Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery. Each image leads to much more complete documentation for each patient. Now that is what I call documentation of what my technique delivered.

The Coolsculpting Lipo is probably the CoolLipo by CoolTouch another laser fat blasting system that I have never seen adequate proof of such recovery nor sculpting abilities by either adequate standard pictures or videos and certainly not how the tissues move nor the recovery path a patient needs to take. For instance today's visit brought me you go to their "before and after surgery pictures and all I got was:

a broken link.

The problem I have with such systems has been addressed in other posts here: Liposuction Forum - Scar From Technique Can Be As Disfiguring As Gland of Gyno. The scar of a technique can be more disfiguring than what it was designed to fix. That is why getting beyond the hype of method of surgery is so critical. You want to see the before and after contour from many angles, how the tissues move (scars do not move as well), and the bruising swelling produced.

Personally I avoided the hype and preferred methods that minimized remaining destroyed fat cell debris. I saw many patients disfigured by other surgeons using various types of Laser or Ultrasound machines. Of course this is a partial view, why would someone happy from another method come to my office. But the proof in documentation as I outlined above has always been lacking when I have looked in the past. Perhaps with a forum like this we will be able to stimulate better proof than just a broken link.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

Here is another element in how to be careful in looking at images.

is another image claiming to be a before and after demonstration of the system. That is why I created resources such as How to Evaluate Gynecomastia Pictures, again a contouring operation that uses Liposuction as an element of the sculpture. What is wrong with the picture?

• It is only a single view.
  • The lighting seems so different in the before and after. Dishonest change of lighting can be used to emphasize shadows and contours instead of surgery.
  • Background Colors Change
  • Framing Changed, there should be no change of distance between ear and chin, the magnifications are different
  • Flexing Neck Angle Changed, extending chin after surgery can tighten the neck.
  • No demonstration of flexing neck or showing how tight tissues are or how they move

Yes, there is a change. But how much came from the liposuction vs other techniques used at the same time vs photographic techniques. This is the issue of the hype and salesmanship that bothers me and why I built the guides to learn about such details.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline banned liposuction portal site

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 04:32:34 AM »

• The lighting seems so different in the before and after. Dishonest change of lighting can be used to emphasize shadows and contours instead of surgery.
  • Framing Changed, there should be no change of distance between ear and chin, the magnifications are different
  • Flexing Neck Angle Changed, extending chin after surgery can tighten the neck.
  • No demonstration of flexing neck or showing how tight tissues are or how they move

Cool tips on how to evaluate the Before-After photos! I will add them in my portal --.com [nofollow], if you don't mind! As for the cool lipo [nofollow] technique there are many Before-After photos but someone should definitely evaluate them the right way!

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:19:04 PM »

Cool tips on how to evaluate the Before-After photos! I will add them in my portal --.com, if you don't mind! As for the cool lipo technique there are many Before-After photos but someone should definitely evaluate them the right way!

We welcome those linking to my body of work. But I do mind, you do not have permission to take my content, pictures, and work for your portal. If interested in educating your visitors about critical issues link to my resources here: How To Use Before After Pictures which now forms the hub of a many page project to help the public better understand issues about documenting problems and results. This extends beyond Plastic Surgery, but can be useful for bodybuilding, weight loss, activity documentation, and many other issues. The project is daunting and expansive as you can see from this Reconstructive Plastic Surgery - Reconstruct Club Foot To Wear High Heels. Same principle: dynamic problem, partial documentation, and my attempt to evolve the system of problem analysis by better documentation.

In another post you said:

I read carefully your message and i think it just doesn't make sense.. the only explanation i can give is that the doc didn't something wrong! Wet Liposuction is definitely an efficient method!

You can read my response: Re: I have a question about two liposuction procedures I've had - male

Where I try to explain why hand waving short verbal comments not the same as a more a critical and complete analysis. So stealing or rephrasing a few lines of text is a disservice to the public over this complex project. Yes, I mind very much. It is an issue of seeing the whole picture and solution, how the tissues move, and what other factors, like weight loss are involved. Real people have been asking for my help after falling trap to incomplete information.

Our Forum, Advertisers, and Those Seeking A Better Way to Knowledge and Proof of Technique
This forum welcomes such documentation and links to proof of a technique. The goal here is to separate verbal hype and hand waving from reality and real results. Link spam to such non proof pages for search engine optimization will be deleted and the user banned until they understand our purpose here. Bans can be lifted and the member restored to a contributory role. But for now unpaid link advertisements have been removed.

We are working on a method for those who just want to advertise here, to be given that option without such documentation, but that material will have the label advertising so the public can judge for themselves. Contact us if interested in being part of this process of public empowerment here on this forum and connected resources or if you want to explore advertising opportunities for advertising your liposuction portal here. Posting with links that work are an earned prerogative presently.

technique there are many Before-After photos but someone should definitely evaluate them the right way!

At your request, I looked and was disappointed. I have thousands of before, during, and after surgery images on my resources. I could only find 14 before and after pictures, perhaps you could show us where they are or we have a different interpretation of the word "many."

There was only one view for each example with no chance to see the other sides or how tissues move. Other major factor like weight loss were missing. I saw different lighting, different backgrounds, different framing, and different angles used in the photographic techniques. I would be happy to discuss the specific points for each photo, but someone who has permission to post them will need to post them here for a more detailed specific review as you requested.

I myself would have concerns about participating on a site claiming results with photos techniques prohibited by My Plastic Surgery Societies Code of Ethics rules designed to protect the public. However, such images could be used as material to help the public understand why they may or may not be valid. They could be posted here for discussion and comment from myself and others interested in providing the public with better tools to understand problems and treatment claims.

This could be a way back from your ban here, if interested in the evaluation you requested or helping build this project.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates