Author Topic: Blepharophimosis Syndrome Board - From Sri Lanka Wants Advice For Eyelid Surgery  (Read 3782 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Dear Dr. Bermant,

I have been reading through your details on your web site, and would like to get some advice from you, I’m from Sri Lanka

My daughter who is now 2 years old was born with blepharophimosis syndrome I have seen an eye doctor and a plastic surgeon and also a geneticist,
The eye doctor wanted me to check her vision every 6 months to make sure her vision is good,

The other two doctors advised me that the surgery on the telecanthus should be done when she is about 4 years old; the geneticist said this is called a cosmetic surgery, and said as long as her vision is good, there is no need to
Hurry on the surgery.

I have attached some pictures of my daughter; no one in our family has this syndrome,

Please advise me,

Thank you,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Blepharophimosis Syndrome comes in different degrees. When the eyelids cover over the pupil blocking vision, early surgery can be critical in the brain's development to minimize the obstruction. When cosmetic issues become the major concern, timing of surgery sometimes is best delayed until a child can cooperate with the recovery and experience.

There is much emotion for both parents and children living with this condition. That is why I built this forum.

You are welcome to post your images here in this forum so that others can understand your concerns. Here is How to Post Pictures Here on our Plastic Surgery Forum.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything