Author Topic: Gynecomastia Experiences Forum - 9 Years After Surgery Follow Up What Happened  (Read 5861 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hi Dr Bermant,
I was a patient of yours a few years ago, and just wanted to let you know how well things have gone regarding your work.  I'm sure I wasn't the worst case you'd seen, but often the finesse cases are harder since the before/after isn't as dramatic, and I'm sure many surgeons overdo the finesse cases leading to disaster.  You certainly need to have the right touch and not remove too much, but still enough to achieve the goal.  It must be a hard balance to achieve on every patient. 

I would imagine that most patients want to simply forget the whole thing, and I have for the most part, but I saw a video of one of your patients on YouTube and it reminded me of my experience so I thought I should write a quick note.  Within a few months of the surgery, things looked so normal that it was easy to forget I ever had this problem, so that's a concealed compliment to you.  In the intervening years, my weight has changed quite a bit as I put on a lot of muscle working out, but then lost a lot of weight dealing with a lyme disease infection that went undiagnosed and made me very ill.  During the gain and loss my chest contours never changed that much and simply looked normal throughout this.  Today, its pretty much the same situation with my chest, looking normal and stable, without any hint that any surgical intervention occurred.  My expectations were exceeded far more than I thought possible since I figured there would be some nagging issues.  But there were none.  The scars quickly disappeared and now can't be seen, the muscle looks normal and the fat that was removed that accentuates the lower pectoral muscle definition was a nice added touch that I wasn't expecting.

So all in all, I am very grateful to you and your staff for getting me through what I had expected to be a traumatic event in my life and turning it into a rather anticlimactic affair but with excellent results.  Having contracted lyme disease and needing medical intervention has shown me there are many other medical professionals that often do more harm than good, don't really care about outcomes, and don't have the same lofty goals of what can be achieved that you do, so I appreciate the dedication to perfection that you have.  Perfection is an anomaly in life so when you come across it, its always a very pleasant surprise.

Again, many thanks for your awesome work, I am very glad I chose you for this situation.
Best regards,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Sorry to hear about your Lyme disease.  I have put a few of the videos on YouTube such as

Gynecomastia Patient Experiences of Revision Surgery Done By New York Surgeon. Each video is also on my website in much greater detail such as that one's page:

Gynecomastia Crater Deformity After New York Plastic Surgeon Revision Surgery where I can offer much greater detail about the problem and experiences than what can be posted on YouTube. Answering questions there is frustrating since the responses only are text without links. That is why I made this forum so that I could include links to help better answer and explain issues.

It has been some time since your surgery on 2003. Yes, the finesse cases such as Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia were always a challenge that I enjoyed since it demanded so much more skill to achieve improvement. The unrealistic goals I always strived for was perfect surgery: no scars and remaining tissue that adapted just like neither the deformity nor I had been there. There are too many uncontrollable elements to actually achieve that goal all the time. But when we do, it is so gratifying to know about it.

Again, thank you for your kind words,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates