Author Topic: Over 100 pounds lost on my own!  (Read 6647 times)

Offline shannon2915

• View Profile
Over 100 pounds lost on my own!
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:05:57 PM »
I have always been overweight, I can't ever remember a time when I wasn't.  But after marriage and the conception of my first child my weight was increasing rapidly.  At 6 foot tall and 365 lbs. I was miserable.  My first attempt at weight loss was somewhat successful.  I lost 65 lbs. but soon after I went spiraling out of control again.  I gain alot of the weight back.  And after the birth of my second child my weight settled in at about 312.  It was nine and half months ago I decided i had had enough. 

When I started my weight loss journey this time I chose to make small changes, and honestly it has just snowballed.  My eating habits today are better and im no longer a couch potate.  I work out at least and hour a day, and have found a new love of running.  At 32 I can honestly say I feel like I am in the best shape I have ever been.  As of today I have lost 105 lbs and am still dropping.  I feel great. ;D  Maybe after all the weight is gone I can be brave enough to get the skin removed. 

I feel great, awesome, and healthy.  :)   All awesome benefits to a major weight loss.  But why does no one ever tell you about the struggles that have to be faced after the weight is gone?  Not just the physical aspects, but the emotional as well.  Weight loss is definitely more than just physical it has to be an emotional journey as well.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Over 100 pounds lost on my own!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:06 AM »
I have always been overweight, I can't ever remember a time when I wasn't.  But after marriage and the conception of my first child my weight was increasing rapidly.  At 6 foot tall and 365 lbs. I was miserable.  My first attempt at weight loss was somewhat successful.  I lost 65 lbs. but soon after I went spiraling out of control again.  I gain alot of the weight back.  And after the birth of my second child my weight settled in at about 312.  It was nine and half months ago I decided i had had enough. 

When I started my weight loss journey this time I chose to make small changes, and honestly it has just snowballed.  My eating habits today are better and im no longer a couch potate.  I work out at least and hour a day, and have found a new love of running.  At 32 I can honestly say I feel like I am in the best shape I have ever been.  As of today I have lost 105 lbs and am still dropping.  I feel great. ;D  Maybe after all the weight is gone I can be brave enough to get the skin removed. 

I feel great, awesome, and healthy.  :)   All awesome benefits to a major weight loss.  But why does no one ever tell you about the struggles that have to be faced after the weight is gone?  Not just the physical aspects, but the emotional as well.  Weight loss is definitely more than just physical it has to be an emotional journey as well.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your weight loss achievement.

I have been documenting and discussing the issues After Weight Loss for many years. You can find some of this documentation in the experiences I have posted on our resources. Have you tried our Plastic Surgery Search Engine where you can select your resource such as our Encyclopedia, Forums, or Store? Our Forum Search is kept up to date automatically and does not depend on Google.

Some of the experiences will be part of the documentation of that individual's Tummy Tuck Experiences, or  the Sagging Male Chest After Weight Loss, or Lower Body Lift stories dealing with sagging of the lower body after weight loss.

There are many posts here in these forums dealing with the Abdominal Pannus Stress & Emotions Living with Extra Tissue, Weight Loss Forum - Lost 40kg, want to lose 20-30 more - Lots of Loose Skin, and others.

Perhaps someone will help catalog the videos and written experiences with links to what is already here on the site.

After weight loss comes the stabilization process. Many have found Body Shaping Garments for Women a valuable tool while waiting for the skin to shrink as much as it can. You can find a discussion about that here Weight Loss Forum - After Gastric Bypass What is Difference Stage 1 & 2 Garments. There is a more extensive Body Shaping Garments for Men section where I was able to document the changes with pictures and video.

We also have tools to help monitor the Body Fat and Weight that can help with positive reinforcement during weight loss and see how the muscle vs fat components are improving. This can be a significant factor for the bodybuilder weight loss individual who is replacing fat with muscle and weight alone is not telling the entire story.

Have you been documenting the progress with pictures or videos? We have quite a few discussions about using Standard Pictures for Stomach Changes as well as other parts of the body that are good tools to document progress or stabilization after weight loss or surgery.

One of the most difficult issues many faced is the frustration with that loose skin while waiting for the process of continued weight loss and for the skin to shrink. You can see Gynecomastia & Weight Forum - Frustrated With Weight Loss Breasts Not Going Away. Although dealing with male weight loss issues, here is a section from that post:

• Get to a weight you are comfortable living with.
  • Let the skin adjust as much as it will. It can take from 6 to 18 months for skin equilibration after a gastric bypass and major weight loss.
  • After Massive Weight Loss, Consider Tightening Lower Tissues First. There is little sense to lift the chest and then have a tummy tuck, lower the chest result, requiring a revision chest lift.
  • Then Address the Chest.
  • Use No Surgery Body Shaping Garments as emotional support not to rush the process.

Adding more details about what is happening with your body and weight loss can add to what is already here on the site. Share what you find with others. Use our Social Media Tools found on each page of the site to spread that resource so that others have less difficulty with:

But why does no one ever tell you about the struggles that have to be faced after the weight is gone?

That is a goal of this forum, providing the tools to help express, deal, and help others with our bodies.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline sexy soul sister

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Hi ,Great job!

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:53:46 PM »

Hi ,Great job!

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Congratulations, that is quite a bit of weight loss! Welcome to our forum.

Do not rush into any form of surgery.

Unfortunately, weight loss has its compromises: Loose Skin After Weight Loss is often the most dramatic and many parts of the body can be an issue to different degrees. Surgery for this can get expensive.

Weight loss and surgical sculpture is a series of compromises. What suites any one individual will vary.  Ideal sequence that I recommended to my patients:

• Get to a weight you are comfortable living with.
  • Let the skin adjust as much as it will. It can take from 6 to 18 months for skin equilibration after a gastric bypass and major weight loss.
  • After Massive Weight Loss, Consider Tightening Lower Tissues First. There is little sense to lift the chest and then have a tummy tuck, lower the chest result, requiring a revision chest lift.
  • Then Address the Chest.
  • Use No Surgery Body Shaping Garments as emotional support not to rush the process.

Temporizing Contouring Option
Body Shaping Garments which will hide and stabilize the excess tissues while being worn. They are not a replacement for the surgery but, what I like to call, and emotional band-aide. Check out Female Body Shaping Garments and for the male weight loss individual: Body Contouring Clothing for Men.

Be patient and consider documenting the progress with something like my Standard Pictures for Tummy Tuck to demonstrate the contour from multiple directions and loose skin issues. The views are great for documenting progress during a weight loss program or for proof that a product works!

For those interested in documenting their own progress, consider adding how tissues move such as my Tummy Tuck Movies and Video but add the emotional component of issues associated with the weight loss, dieting, clothing, and activities as you can see I did for my own patients.

The weight,  BMI (Body Mass Index), and Body Fat Analysis should be recorded to support what the facts are for that particular image documentation period. This progress should be recorded, paper is fine. However, putting it on a spreadsheet that can give you a graphic for the progress to date can be a great tool to see progress or a stimulation about stagnation or relapse.

I really like the new WiFi Body Fat Analyzers and Scales that help keep track of progress and send the data to your cell phone, computer, iPad or such. There are now many apps to help the process and provide motivation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:01:00 PM by DrBermant »
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates