Author Topic: Post Tummy Tuck Complications  (Read 11249 times)

Offline Ckinhim

• View Profile
Post Tummy Tuck Complications
« on: April 07, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »
I am 14 mo post TT. I started having issues with my BB within 4 months. I had a "suture" work its way up to the surface of the scar and made a blister like sore on the scar. Doc had me come in and revised the scar including removing the "suture". I started having lumps around the line of the internal repair up the middle and then off middle. We tried several different times to needle excise the lumps, but no fluid could be found. Now, I am experiencing more blisters of the BB and we attempted 3 previous revisions of the BB because of the blisters continue to work up, much to my frustration and the docs.  Currently I have an OPEN WOUND around my whole BB made by him to try to get the internal side to heal.  I also still have several off line hard "like rock" places upper abdomen and a bulge in the lower right quadrant (think ovary area or Appendix) that causes me discomfort and aching. In fact I feel better when I wear my post TT compression garment as this make me feel "held in". While having my wound packed, my nurse saw the bulge in the lower area, I pushed it in and then it came back out, twice. Unsure if this is a hernia and if ANYONE else has EVER had ANY of these complications. I do make the doctor scratch his head and he is EXTREMELY PATIENT with me everytime I head back to his office. He has been in practice for 10 years and is one of my cities top doc's and originally I felt AMAZING. Now, I just cry every time I have the wound packed (2-3) a day and wonder why this is happening. As soon as the wound heals we have a CT ordered, but don't know if this will show my problems. And IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANYTHING LIKE THIS, PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS.... I AM So frustrated....and SAD. This was my attempt to relieve scarring, pain and a neuroma after 7 other abdominal surgeries...and at first it was AWESOME

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Tummy Tuck Forum - Re: Post Tummy Tuck Complications
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »
I am 14 mo post TT. I started having issues with my BB within 4 months. I had a "suture" work its way up to the surface of the scar and made a blister like sore on the scar. Doc had me come in and revised the scar including removing the "suture". I started having lumps around the line of the internal repair up the middle and then off middle. We tried several different times to needle excise the lumps, but no fluid could be found. Now, I am experiencing more blisters of the BB and we attempted 3 previous revisions of the BB because of the blisters continue to work up, much to my frustration and the docs.  Currently I have an OPEN WOUND around my whole BB made by him to try to get the internal side to heal.  I also still have several off line hard "like rock" places upper abdomen and a bulge in the lower right quadrant (think ovary area or Appendix) that causes me discomfort and aching. In fact I feel better when I wear my post TT compression garment as this make me feel "held in". While having my wound packed, my nurse saw the bulge in the lower area, I pushed it in and then it came back out, twice. Unsure if this is a hernia and if ANYONE else has EVER had ANY of these complications. I do make the doctor scratch his head and he is EXTREMELY PATIENT with me everytime I head back to his office. He has been in practice for 10 years and is one of my cities top doc's and originally I felt AMAZING. Now, I just cry every time I have the wound packed (2-3) a day and wonder why this is happening. As soon as the wound heals we have a CT ordered, but don't know if this will show my problems. And IF ANYONE HAS HAD ANYTHING LIKE THIS, PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS.... I AM So frustrated....and SAD. This was my attempt to relieve scarring, pain and a neuroma after 7 other abdominal surgeries...and at first it was AWESOME

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum. Sorry to hear about the problems that have been going on.

There are many possible Tummy Tuck Complications.

The Belly Button Surgery of a Tummy Tuck can be one of the most critical components. Problems that would be otherwise hidden hidden by the tissues above, are, by anatomy, closer to the surface. If a patient has suture reaction problems with sutures in the fascia or muscle covering layer, the belly button can be the first place these become apparent since there is so little tissue over them. The cause for any one problem with sutures can vary from a reaction to the dissolving process of an absorbable suture, allergic reaction to the material, infection, poor knot tying, and many other possibilities.

Tummy Tuck Revision for Belly Button ComplicationWhile I have seen suture reactions from some patients to some dissolving materials, this and infections were very rare in my practice. Solutions depend on the original problem, was was done for the surgery and what was done for the revisions. When there are deep components to the healing problems, these need to be addressed before the surface can heal. That is why packing  wounds open is a common method. I had one such case involving the lower wound that needed packing. Once it had healed, I then revised the small depressed.

Sutures decrease the number of bacteria needed to create an infection. Sometimes permanent sutures involved in an infection process need to be removed before the infection can be brought under control.

Hernia is a defect in the stomach wall fascia layer. This can be an issue there before surgery, a product of surgical technique, or the result of a complication such as healing problems, suture failure, or sutures removal as is sometimes needed in addressing infections. Sometimes a CT can be of value in diagnosis of hernia and other problems. I liked to be present myself during such testing when I used them to get the most out of that tool. That permitted me to be part of the settings for the exam as well as manipulate the image settings to see more than just reading a Radiologist's report. Now software is available to read the disk of a CT scan on a personal computer. OsiriX Dicom View SoftwareSuch software can be a great tool in both diagnosis and patient education about problems and planning. That means having access to the disk from a scan can be viewed in ways so much better than the older putting up films on viewboxes. The incredible part of that software has been that it is free. I do not know if using such tools can help the lay public, but for me it made it easier for me instead of having to be present at the scanning process.

Injured nerves are a part of any tummy tuck. The healing of these nerves can be slowed by open wounds and body reactions to healing of other structures. These can be the sources of point tenderness and other discomforts.

After Tummy Tuck Compression Garments tend to help support healing tissues. Better garments give access to the wounds for care. Second Stage Tummy Tuck Garments can help with scar evolution, but are not designed to give easy access for wound care. Abdominal After Tummy Tuck Garment with Zipper is one example my patients preferred. After Tummy Tuck Surgery Compression for Women Gallery show how this garment comes in different configurations depending on needs.

Understanding the underlying issues is often needed before a problem is solved.
Consider posting pictures of the current problem. Such photos tend to be rare on the internet. This can help others understand your current situation and issues you are dealing with. Standard Tummy Tuck Pictures can help establish the current situation. When I was in practice, I would ask patients asking for my help to provide such images from before surgery, weight, height, body fat, and underlying medical conditions, the operative report(s), and doctor's progress notes so that I could better understand potential causes and help me plan a solution that did not repeat prior failures.

This forum was designed for those with concerns to post them for others with answers to offer education and experience.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates