Author Topic: Weight Loss Forum - Discussion Wi-Fi Scales and Body Fat Analyzers  (Read 10773 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Our Body Fat Analyzer Scale Store has expanded.

There is a new

Fitbit FB201W Aria Wi-fi Smart Scale it is quite a bit lower in cost than the

Withings Wifi Body Scale

We also have added a more expensive option:

Tanita BC-1000WH Ant+ Wireless Body Composition Bundle with Remote Display.

I like the connectivity and data collection power of a wi-fi connected measurement tool for someone working on weight loss, bodybuilding, working out or any other system for body change. The concept of a more comprehensive proof for method working is important. Having the scale analyzer connected to your phone, computer, ipad or other device is great.

Have you tried such a method?  How has this worked for you?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Explore our Plastic Surgery Forum
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline sexy soul sister

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Re: Weight Loss Forum - Discussion Wi-Fi Scales and Body Fat Analyzers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
Hi,
I do not have these particular devices but I do own an Omran Body Fat calculator to chart my process. I've switched from mostly cardio to a weight lifting/ cardio routine as a result of the analyzer.  I find it very valuable in charting my muscle gain/fat loss.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
Hi,
I do not have these particular devices but I do own an Omran Body Fat calculator to chart my process. I've switched from mostly cardio to a weight lifting/ cardio routine as a result of the analyzer.  I find it very valuable in charting my muscle gain/fat loss.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

We used the Omron Body Fat Analyzer in our office for years to show our patients that such measurements could be done inexpensively. I like the new wifi ones for those looking for motivational tools with their smartphones, iPad, or computer. But why knock success?  The concept was to get them to start considering more than weight alone for their progress. This was particularly true for our bodybuilders and athletes that were gaining so much muscle that the scale weight did not change as much. But you are already ahead of those who had not heard nor seen such a device.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 06:00:09 AM »

I have added links directly to the Withings Site:

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:45:48 AM by DrBermant »
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »

Our Body Fat Analyzer Scale Store has expanded.

There is a new

Fitbit FB201W Aria Wi-fi Smart Scale it is quite a bit lower in cost than the

Withings Wifi Body Scale

We also have added a more expensive option:

Tanita BC-1000WH Ant+ Wireless Body Composition Bundle with Remote Display.

I like the connectivity and data collection power of a wi-fi connected measurement tool for someone working on weight loss, bodybuilding, working out or any other system for body change. The concept of a more comprehensive proof for method working is important. Having the scale analyzer connected to your phone, computer, ipad or other device is great.

Have you tried such a method?  How has this worked for you?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Explore our Plastic Surgery Forum

We have added a new scale to our Our Body Fat Analyzer Scale Store.

Withings WS-50 Smart Body Analyzer, Black

This new scale includes body fat analysis, heart rate (only while standing on scale), room temperature, and CO measurement.

The new features are interesting but not really practical for a typical placement of scale in the bathroom. Room temperature of the scale location makes sense to monitor only if the whole house is at the same temperature (not really the case most times). To assume that the scale will be kept where someone is spending most of their time is illogical.

Heart Rate monitoring on the scale is also not real life, just a short window while someone has gotten on the scale. The rate will often not be typical since one needs to get on the scale barefoot or without clothing if wanting the most accurate weight. It is not uncommon for someone's heart rate to change when naked or chilled without clothing or in the process of typical bathroom activities.

So for gadgetry, interesting. For practical sense, not so much.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Many methods for measuring body fat are notoriously inaccurate, and some leave a huge margin of error!

Body Fat Analyzers do come in different forms and accuracy. However, even the moderately priced units can be extremely valuable as motivation devices. I preferred to keep a reasonably priced unit in my office to demonstrate the value of tracking body fat for my patients to dispel the myth that people needed an expensive segmental unit to achieve goals. Each patient was weighed and an Omron unit used to measure their fat. Technology has moved well beyond with the wireless and smartphone integration.

The scales are quite accurate now for the needs of the typical individual trying to lose weight. If you understand the physics behind the device, more inadequacies come with the variables the user inflicts on their measurements. This is a device dependent on skin conductivity. So a sweaty or wet right after shower body will test different than someone who has dry skin or just having used foot creams or lotions. Trying to keep conditions the same can increase the consistencies of the unit.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates