Author Topic: Is it proper to bring photos to a tummy tuck consult?  (Read 6582 times)

Offline sexy soul sister

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Is it proper to bring photos to a tummy tuck consult?
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »
Hi,
Has anyone ever taken photos of a procedure to a consult. Is it proper? I know with rhinoplasty, people ask for a certain celebrity's nose, so is ok to take photos of belly buttons, tummy tucks, and breast lifts to your surgeon?
Thanks

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Is it proper to bring photos to a tummy tuck consult?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Hi,
Has anyone ever taken photos of a procedure to a consult. Is it proper? I know with rhinoplasty, people ask for a certain celebrity's nose, so is ok to take photos of belly buttons, tummy tucks, and breast lifts to your surgeon?
Thanks

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

I encouraged my patients to bring examples of what they were trying to achieve to their consultations as part of a refinement process. There are limitations to what surgery can offer. Unfortunately, Not All Surgeon Have The Same Skills nor Results. So you cannot assume that one surgeon's work will be like another. This also applies to if a surgeon would welcome or use pictures brought in by a patient. I did not use images brought in by patients when the problem did not fit what they were asking about. Such a situation would happen when someone wanted to discuss refinement of a belly button when there were still several hundred pounds of weight to be lost before considering surgery. A discussion based on such photos would be in the range of speculation about what the problem might yet evolve into.

Not all body features have options for reshaping during surgery. For a Tummy Tuck however, I used such patient photos to help in my planning for the Belly Button Umbilicoplasty component. I could approximate some requests depending on the problem and what the individual was looking for. There is not as much sculpture leeway for the shape of the stomach, but the photos help in establishing realistic expectations.

I found many of my patients were bringing in pictures from my website for their consults. Many also told me that my pictures from my site were brought into other surgeon's offices for questions before patients came to me. Some Plastic Surgeons have commented about my web pages being brought into their offices by patients asking for help.

Bringing in Pictures can have some use for Breast Lift Surgery expectation discussion. The sculpture skill of making a specific breast shape both immediately or over time has eluded most surgeons' skills. I was better able to help with Inverted Nipple Surgery clay model for a patient to express wishes for approximate nipple shape.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline sexy soul sister

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
Thank you for your answer. Your explanation has helped me greatly in this process.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
Thank you for your answer. Your explanation has helped me greatly in this process.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

You are welcome. One factor you can investigate, to see if a surgeon has that type of skill to have patient requests vary an aspect of shaping is to look at that surgeon's work. If all of a structure all look the same, then that surgeon may not have the skills for such variation. Check out my Before After Belly Button Surgery as part of Tummy Tuck and look at the variation I was able to achieve. One factor I saw from some patients coming to me for Belly Button Revision unhappy after surgery by another surgeon, was that sometimes all of the belly buttons looked the same. This is also sometimes a factor in Rhinoplasty and other Plastic Surgery operations. Asking a doctor for variation options when they are not showing such options as part of their skill set is risky.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates