Author Topic: Issues After Major Weight Loss and Breast Cancer Mastectomy  (Read 3631 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Issues After Major Weight Loss and Breast Cancer Mastectomy
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
Dear Dr. Bermant,
My name is -, and I am 46 yrs old. Three years ago I had RNY, and as a result, lost 175 lbs. Needless to say, I have an abundance of skin. My major problem is that I have Breast Cancer. They have removed a good portion of my right breast, as well as some of my left. My question is..is it safe to have PS to restuff them and lift them back up where they belong? Of course, I'd love to have "everything" done,but got to start with baby steps, right? I appreciate your time.
Thank you,
-

Congratulations on all of that weight loss! Doesn't it feel much better having all of that gone. After Major Weight Loss Plastic Surgery has much to offer. However, there are often safety factors. Breast reconstruction after cancer surgery and Breast Lift Surgery after weight loss are both common operations done around the world. For my patients who have had such cancer intervention I look for clearance from the doctor managing that aspect.  Gastric bypass patients need other medical clearance to assess how well their body is compensating for nutrition. This is a question better directed to someone who can evaluate your specific issues.

For patients in the process of losing weight, early surgery is often a mistake. Many get frustrated and the loose tissues while losing weight and want a quick fix. An early lift followed by further weight loss typically results in more sagging. That is why for my patients I recommend they get to a weight they are comfortable with before considering surgery.

Have you been following your Body Mass Index BMI?  Are you checking your Body Fat Analysis?  Both are useful tools in seeing where you came from and where you are going.

We are glad to help patients explore such concerns during a consultation or a Preliminary Remote Discussion. If interested, Jane is my office manager and can explain the process.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything