Author Topic: Dermal Fillers - Why so popular? Are they worth it?  (Read 9501 times)

Offline loiswstern

• Novice Member
    • View Profile
Dermal Fillers - Why so popular? Are they worth it?
« on: June 27, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
Not everyone has the resources for a surgical enhancement: time . . downtime . . . money. Not everyone is ready to  say "Here I am" when it comes to elective surgery. Many more men and women are opting for dermal fillers these days. Although not usually as dramatic an outcome as a surgical enhancement, dermal fillers can do a whole lot to enhance our appearance.
Read up on costs, outcome, cautions and more.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/l/DAQEXVsAyAQEWlC7T-WqrlvvpmS1YsPcxfF5EYAr9SNzQSQ/fabulousbeautyblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/the-scoop-on-dermal-fillers/]The Scoop on Dermal Fillers][url][url=http://www.facebook.com/l/DAQEXVsAyAQEWlC7T-WqrlvvpmS1YsPcxfF5EYAr9SNzQSQ/fabulousbeautyblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/the-scoop-on-dermal-fillers/]The Scoop on Dermal Fillers[/url][/url]

By Lois W. Stern
Author, journalist
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 12:00:39 PM by loiswstern »

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Dermal Fillers - Why so popular? Are they worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »

Not everyone has the resources for a surgical enhancement: time . . downtime . . . money. Not everyone is ready to  say "Here I am" when it comes to elective surgery. Many more men and women are opting for dermal fillers these days. Although not usually as dramatic an outcome as a surgical enhancement, dermal fillers can do a whole lot to enhance our appearance.
Read up on cots, outcome, cautions and more.
http://fabulousbeautyblog.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/the-scoop-on-dermal-fillers/

By Lois W. Stern
Author, journalist

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum. Dermal fillers are an interesting topic that I just never offered during my practice. I did like the way they could help fill in a pock mark depression. But as soon as they were applied more globally, I just did not like the way the face moved during facial expressions.

This image from your article has consistent lighting on the before after views. But it misses what the person looked like before  / after smiling, pursing the lips as if to kiss, frowning, or even better, a video showing a series facial expressions choreographed like a ballet:

Relax your face
Smile
Frown
Purse Lips as if you were kissing
Open mouth wide.

are among the things I was testing at the time analyzing facial surgery documentation about the mouth.

Then there is the factor that dermal fillers are temporary unless grafting is done. So, what happens weeks, months later? At what additional cost. To that add documentation of the results over time. How much of the picture a doctor shows is due to the filler or to the immediate after injection swelling from tissue injury or just what it looks like right after injection. That is where the video documentation became valuable. I could ask a series of questions beyond the documentation and get the emotional component of what the treatment results were like. It is a matter of organizing what those questions would be like for dermal filler documentation and that would matter by region employed as does the mouth ballet I described.

But back to if they are worth it or not? That depends on if the individual who has it done on themselves is pleased with the look, what it took to get there, and how long it lasts.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
I have been searching for before after dermal filler pictures showing facial expressions or how looks with animation. Can't find any! Just a frozen face with no expression to show how the filler treated tissue looks. I have also been thinking of fillers for lax regions of skin and you have stimulated me to write some pages and do some drawings. I was amazed how Ted Lockwood's SFS superficial facial suspension system laxity and dermal fillers work concept wise. Just what is aging skin? What are wrinkles? How are the dermal fillers working to address the problem of aging skin?

I am not coming up with answers that make sense to me.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline NancyPike

• Restricted Modification
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:20:53 AM »
Plastic surgeons use several antiaging skin color care strategies to appropriate eye wrinkles and other signs of organic aging. One non-surgical method that is becoming really well-known could be the use of dermal fillers. Dermal fillers you could have heard of consist of hyaluronic acid fillers, Restylane, Juvederm, collagen, Artefill, Radiesse, and Sculptra. Dermal fillers just like hyaluronic acid need to not be baffled with Botox. Botox may perhaps be applied for anti-aging skin color care but works as a outcome of a fully diverse method.

Offline DrBermant

• Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:36 AM »
Plastic surgeons use several antiaging skin color care strategies to appropriate eye wrinkles and other signs of organic aging. One non-surgical method that is becoming really well-known could be the use of dermal fillers. Dermal fillers you could have heard of consist of hyaluronic acid fillers, Restylane, Juvederm, collagen, Artefill, Radiesse, and Sculptra. Dermal fillers just like hyaluronic acid need to not be baffled with Botox. Botox may perhaps be applied for anti-aging skin color care but works as a outcome of a fully diverse method.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our discussion group.

Dermal fillers have nothing to do with skin color. They fill, push, occupy space trying to stretch out the connective tissue framework in an attempt to reduce wrinkles, depressions, or defects in the collagen layer. Botox does not work there. It is a muscle paralyzing nerve poison. Botox injections stop muscles from working and when relaxed, the skin wrinkles and animation are diminished or destroyed.

The question about "antiaging" methods is how do they look on facial expressions, animation, talking, laughing, and crying? Stretched out puffed collagen fibers may fill a wrinkle, but why are there no movies of how the face moves or expresses afterwards? Here is a discussion on Botox Plastic Surgery Forum - Why do promoters avoid before after videos?. I found the article mentioned in this post fascinating: Skin Care Forum - Misleading L'Oreal Anti-Aging Advertisement Banned in UK.

I personally did not offer such treatments for that reason as discussed Botox Forum - Botox and Lip Enhancements. But each to his or her own, and I am still eager to learn.

I do not understand your post. Please explain. Perhaps it is a language barrier. Astroturfing or link spam marketing are against forum rules.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Plastic Surgery
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates