Author Topic: 1 week and 3 days post-op  (Read 4890 times)

Offline rob246

• View Profile
1 week and 3 days post-op
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »
I've recently had otoplasty and I'm really satisfied with the results thus far. My doctor did a terrific job reshaping my ears.

The only thing that has been bothering me is the fact that every night when i go to sleep (only post-op), I wake up with this yellowish dried up fluid mainly behind my ears. I did a little bit of research and i found out that this is probably blood plasma. I sometimes end up sleeping on my side and with my head down low where its not supposed to be but I wake up and re position myself. My question is: Is this normal? Should this leakage have stopped 2-3 days post-op or is it normal that it keeps leaking during the night. It also has some kind of appalling smell to it (kind of like cheese). Should i give it more time and wait for the swelling to go down or contact my doctor? Should i clean behind the ear or let it scab and form a barrier? I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

I've also seen that my ears have scabbed at different points, is that the doctor's fault or is that normal.

Thnks in advance.

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: 1 week and 3 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
I've recently had otoplasty and I'm really satisfied with the results thus far. My doctor did a terrific job reshaping my ears.

The only thing that has been bothering me is the fact that every night when i go to sleep (only post-op), I wake up with this yellowish dried up fluid mainly behind my ears. I did a little bit of research and i found out that this is probably blood plasma. I sometimes end up sleeping on my side and with my head down low where its not supposed to be but I wake up and re position myself. My question is: Is this normal? Should this leakage have stopped 2-3 days post-op or is it normal that it keeps leaking during the night. It also has some kind of appalling smell to it (kind of like cheese). Should i give it more time and wait for the swelling to go down or contact my doctor? Should i clean behind the ear or let it scab and form a barrier? I'd like to hear your opinion on this.

I've also seen that my ears have scabbed at different points, is that the doctor's fault or is that normal.

Thnks in advance.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum.

I saw patients from around the world for my surgery. I preferred a careful meticulous closure for these patients so that their local stay could be minimized after surgery. There are many possible here, infection being one that can be a disaster, cartilage infection in particular. Infected cartilage can melt away resulting in deformity.

Each of my patients was told to call me immediately, night or day, after surgery if there was anything different in their After Otoplasty experiences. Because of my concern about risks, I preferred to see the tissues myself, examine the wound, smelled the drainage. I would have a very low threshold for adding after surgery antibiotics to protect the cartilage until it had a better blood supply.

Options for intervention depended on what was the original problem, what was done, and other factors. Thankfully, complications, drainage, and even calls after surgery were quite rare for my methods.

What were your after surgery instructions? Why have you not called the doctor already?  What type of surgeon did the otoplasty. Each doctor has their own methods of surgery and care and reasons for these choices.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Otoplasty Ear Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates