Author Topic: Tummy tuck,  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Nowshabeh

• View Profile
Tummy tuck,
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know how long after a C-section is safe to have a tummytuck?

thanks,

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Tummy tuck,
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:29:49 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know how long after a C-section is safe to have a tummytuck?

thanks,

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Welcome to our forum. After Pregnancy What Does Plastic Surgery Have to Offer was a common question asked.

Some asked to have both done at same time. Tummy Tuck During Delivery or Giving Birth is a bad idea, not safe surgery.

Timing After Varies
There are issues of safety and letting the body adjust itself. Hormones play badly with the female body during pregnancy. I used to tell my patients to wait until their bodies stabilized before considering elective surgery. For someone considering a Tummy Tuck for Loose Skin after Pregnancy and Cesarean Section Scar, I used to  suggest waiting until the skin stopped shrinking and the scar had healed enough not to be a factor for a new operation. Just How Much Loose Skin When Considering A Tummy Tuck can change the planning and design of the new stomach. There was also a factor for some that gained weight with pregnancy they did not like. Weight loss before surgery was better than weight loss after. That topic is covered more completely here: How to determine the right time for a tuck after weight loss.

The period therefore varied quite a bit from a few months to longer depending on the individual. Jump in too soon and the wrong decision might have been made like surgery that was not needed, the body adjusted just fine without the Plastic Surgeon or now loose skin after weight loss following the tuck. It usually is better to avoid needing Revision Tummy Tuck.  Setting the belly button place can limit some options.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates