Author Topic: Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Forum - Sir Harold Gilles Plastic Surgeon WW1  (Read 7041 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
The surgical records detail the groundbreaking work of Dr Harold Gillies, the pioneering plastic surgeon who developed some of the world’s first successful skin grafts during the Great War.

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

I was just browsing the Internet for a project I am working on and found some incredible work from UK surgeons from various war injuries. Most were not labeled by what surgeon. I just came across an article on Sir Harold Gillies, a pioneering Plastic Surgeon who evolved innovated reconstructive techniques.

Pioneering plastic surgery records from First World War published

These included not just grafts, but the Flap work, moving tissue with a blood supply, had major advantages for trauma in that the tissue brought along its blood supply bringing options for reconstruction and tissue survival grafts alone could not bring. His patients also benefited from wonderful work with Prosthetics of the Face a key element for wounds beyond the skills of surgeons and advances in anesthesia.

Early forms of reconstructive surgery, including primative nose jobs, are reported to have been carried out as early as 800 BC in India.

Sad, these were not "primative nose jobs" but masterful reconstructions of noses removed as a form of punishment. The story is incredible. From Sushruta Samhita, Tagliocozzi's use of Arm flap, to the Indian Forehead method are the bases we have learned from over the centuries, check out this paper The Evolution of Perforator Flaps to learn about this history of nasal reconstruction.

The article only points to a link to a family history site where you would need the patient's name to find the work. Instead check out a better source: The Gillies Archives from Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup.

Check out the The Tonks pastels and the The Macalister Watercolours. They are wonderful examples of the Principles and Art of Plastic Surgery. Ah one of my favorite books by Gilles and Millard.

It is nice to see such resources on the Internet showing the art and achievements these pioneers were able to achieve.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Plastic Surgery
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

anything